Author Topic: Ben's Black Mk2 2.0 16v Project  (Read 66492 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Ben's Black Mk2 2.0 16v Project
« on: 11 February 2005, 12:37 »
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

TO DO LIST

Install 0 guage power cable.
Move LPG tank to the centre of the boot up against the back of the chairs.
Install ICE - Standard boxes at 1st - Fiberglass to come later.
Upgrade earth strap to 0 guage.
Upgrade alternator wire to 8 guage wire.
Sound proof Doors and boot and if there is any left over do bulk head.
Install bonnet pop solenoid.
Finish Changing illumination of dash switches to blue LED's.
Install gear linkage repair kit.
Replace back box for 6x4 oval quiter box.
Install Remaining Polly bushes.
Roll front arches and seal with waxoil.
Fit lower profile tyres.
Lower car bout 1 inch.
Adjust rear brake bias valve to match height of car.
Waxoil underside of car.
Replace tappets.
Replace Cam chain.
Replace Injector Seals and get them re jetted.
Install polished rocker cover and intake manifolds.
Get Roling Road tuned.
Clean and paint engine bay.
Fit pollished battery cover.
Buy new cradle for hads free kit.
Install DVD Player and Screen
Re trim the chairs in leather - maybe even fit a corrado bench.
Fit a set of vdo guages.
Wire up front fogs correctly.
Wire up sidelights correctly.
Dash conversion.
20v Turbo conversion.
Fit tilt and slide electric sunroof.
Fit 8000k HID Xeonon Light conversion kit.
Fit solid front engine mount.
Replace rear wiper for a punto one.
Euro front wipers.
Replace pedals.
Fix bang on electric window.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: 27 March 2006, 18:49 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Judderi

My 1st MK2
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2005, 15:23 »
Yes 2.0 16v engines tend to be a bit of a theme when it comes to the dubs ive had and got.

It all started when my beloved Pugeot 306 D-Turbo got randomly burn to the ground. So i decided to spend the insurance money on a real car. I always liked the mk2 golfs but wanted a really nice one! So i bought this one in December 2001.

I bought it from a local lad where it had been in his family since new and origionally was his mams before he got his hands on it and turned it into a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. He had changed the engine for a mk3 ABF 2.0 16 lump with a ported and polished head de cat pipe, full stainless magnex exhaust and induction filter pushing out 175bhp. The intake manifold was polished also was the alternator. To go with this it had KONI fully adjustable height and dampness coil overs and G60 brakes with mk3 calipers on the rears. Plus a rear dubweiser strut brake. Here are some links to a Rolling road vid taken after i sold the car.

« Last Edit: 24 November 2005, 13:34 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

External Styling
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2005, 15:21 »
Stying wise externally it had
[/u]

debadged grill,
clear repeaters
vr6 front splitter,
g60 arches,
delocked passenger handle,
full bare metal respray (no rust at all anywhere!)
color coded mirrors,
lexus rear lights,
rear spoiler with high brake light,
lay flat rear wiper,
wolfsburg badges over the side repeaters
chrome handle inserts
G60 15" steel wheels

« Last Edit: 17 May 2005, 11:49 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

[move]Interior & ICE[/move]
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2005, 15:29 »
There were also some nice additions to the interior

Electric Recaro Chairs with matching rears
Extra guages (oil temp, oil pressure, volt meter) in a custom made stainless surround
Stereo re located below another custom made stainless surround with cigarette lighter.
Momo steering wheel
sparco pedals
Imatation leather door cards
polished handles
Polished Golf ball gear knob

Pretty much the 1st thing i did was start taking it apart in order to install my ICE. And this is the finished article consisting of

Sony minidisk head unit with 7 disk mp3 multichanger.
6 way active cross over
Front 16cm infinity reference components in custom door pockets
Rear Infinity Kappa 6x9's in a stealth acoustic shelf
2x Infinity perfect subs in sealed boxes
2x 100w amps powering fronts and rears
1x Vibe VP2 Bridged Powering subs.

I entered a SQ competition at donny, didnt win but did pretty good, i had my bass to high and my highs to low if y know what i mean. In the DB drag i recorded 145db! Heres some pics

« Last Edit: 30 August 2005, 12:44 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

Swapsies
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2005, 15:58 »
I had the white golf for about 2 years and had so much fun in it. It handled amazingly and was a real performer. After changing jobs i was doing allot more miles and the cost of fuel was proving too much so i decided to sell the white golf and buy a diesel. However when browsing ebay one day i came across a black mk2 with an LPG conversion. I didnt really want to sell my white golf but did need something more economical and i always wanted a black one (ooo er missus!) so i rang the guy.

After begging my dad for a loan and a trip down to sheffield a week later i was the proud owner of 2 contrasting golfs.

The black one was in no where near as good a condition as the white one but my plan was to use the white one as a donor then sell the white one using the money to respray the black one. So after spending weekends working in the cold and rain plus a trip to my trusty mechanic to do the bits i screwed up i had finished the swap of premium parts. Here is the list of what i swapped from the white one to the black one.

Recaro interior
Steering wheel
Acoustic Parcel Shelf
Leather Door cards
Metal heater controls
Gear knob
Stereo
Rear strut Brace
Koni coil overs
G60 brakes
mk3 rear calipers
debadged grill
Steel wheels (to fit over the brakes)
Hard scuttle pannel
Chrome handle strips
Front Vibra Technics Engine mount

So the white car ended up looking more like this

« Last Edit: 14 June 2006, 12:48 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

Out with the old in with the new!
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2005, 15:01 »
So now the white golf was ready for sale. After a few weeks of advertising i got interest from a lad down south. His dad came to view the car and agreed a sale there and then. So as soon as i was back off my jolly holls the lad traveld up on the train and paid cash and disapeared never to be seen again. Would be nice to hear from him as id love to hear how the car has been and see any mods hes made.

Update 11/03/05 He called me the other day because he had been pulled by the boys in blue and the car was still registered in my name. Oops! Forgot to post the owners slip off. Anyway the car seems to be going well and he is planning a trip to one of the well known tuning garages for some engine work to be done in order to push out more power, sounds good!

So with a wad of cash in my pocket my origional plan to respray the black car went out of the window! I went on a spending spree! Many many parcels later i had bought the following. Just to list what i can remember, no doubt there was more!

A set of Polished porsche design 90.s plus adaptors (they need a little elbow grease to get them gleaming again) - FITTED[/b]

Bonnet and boot lifters - FITTED

A Polished Rocker cover and intake manifolds 45mm - Now for sale as i bought 2 sets

New injector seals

M3 Rear Lights and Silver bulbs to match - FITTED

Crystal clear angel eyes - FITTED

Crystal clear side repeaters - FITTED

Gearshift repair kit

4 branch stainless manifold - FITTED

Gearbox and rear vibra technics engine mounts - FITTED

Twin nozzle washer jets - FITTED

Automatic boot opening kit

Strut Brace - FITTED

Strut cap covers - FITTED

Wolfsburg Door Pins - FITTED

Chrome Door Striker Pins - FITTED

New working heater pannel with blue LEDS

New Blue LED Switches

VW Tax disk holder - FITTED

Bonnet Insulation - FITTED THEN BINNED AS IT LOOKED HORRIBLE AND DIDNT DO MUCH OTHER THAN LEAVE DENTS IN MY NEW BONNET

New leather gear gator - FITTED

Power Rhor - FITTED

Alloy dipstick

Not to forget one of Dizzie's wonderfull headlight looms. - FITTED

« Last Edit: 14 June 2006, 12:54 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

Magpie
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2005, 10:48 »
Has anybody spotted a common connection in what i buy?  :grin:

I just like shiny things!  :laugh:

Judderi

Bodywork
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2005, 11:20 »
So anyway, after my spending spree and the usuall bills etc etc i.e the wife! i had spent it all!  :shocked:

The car now looked more like this. A bit nicer but still far from complete! Id just given the car a quick wash over with the jet spray and it was still half wet half muckey. P.S Spot the nosey neighbor

But im still determined to get the respray! I made a visit to various body shops in the town checking out the quality of their work. I found one i was impressed with so got a quote done. At ?1750 it was a little expensive but i do want allot doing and a perfect job will only do! This included
New bonnet
New front wings
All arches and trim smoothed and painted including grill and mirrors
5 small dents removed
4 rust patches removed
Full bare metal Respray
Underbody seal

Since the quote ive decided i want the side strips removed and the engine bay spraying too.

So its booked in next week. They will have the car for 2 weeks and about 42 hours of labor later im hoping it will look even better than this. Just with the wheels swaped with the red golf behind.

I have no idea what im gonna live on as a full months wage plus the visa limit will be going on the car! Hey you only get in deby one! Just so happens you stay in it all your life.  :grin:

« Last Edit: 01 March 2005, 14:24 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

Bodyshop pictures Coming soon
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2005, 11:25 »
The bodyshop guy said he will take pictures for me every step of the way so as soon as its all done and the pics are back i will have them posted for you all. Here is some bad points that i took pictures of just before it went in the shop.

The rear bumper is cracked on the underside. Looks like its been reversed into with a tow bar.

The rear bumper is also metled where a previous exhaust was. At a guess id say it had an upswept twin DTM at some point

The front splitter is also cracked. Hmm me thinks this car is a bit too low for practical driving. But hey im not a practical driver!

Now for the rust spots. 1st up is the rear pannel and round the LPG filler cap.

There is also a tricky spot round the rear window on the passenger side

But worst of all is the passenger arch. It doesent look that bad but under the arch is terrible. In fact the arch does not exist under the plastic its all rotted away!

« Last Edit: 14 June 2006, 12:57 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

Re: Lots of Pics! Dial up dont even bother!
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2005, 11:52 »
So whats next on my list? LOTS!  :laugh:

If anyone knows of anywhere i can get these parts cheaper i would really apreciate it. PM me.

Rear spoiler with high brake light. Same as i had on the white golf ?130 - Awsome - HAVE NOW BOUGHT

Euro Wipers

Grillspoiler ?40 - SWG - I know you can get them much cheaper but i like the look of these, better quality. - HAVE NOW BOUGHT FROM AWSOME

Crystal Indicators with built in side lights ?40 - SWG -- HAVE NOW BOUGHT FROM TM TUNING

HID Xeon Headlight Upgrade ?198 aprox - TM Tuning

Strut Caps - ?18 - Trimsport

Leather Door Handles ?20 - Awsome

Leather Gear gator ?20 - Awsome

EL Dials

Crystal Fogs ?53 - TM Tuning - - HAVE NOW BOUGHT

New front Drilled Disks ??

Dash Conversion ??

Leather Re-trim ??
« Last Edit: 14 June 2006, 12:56 by Mk2GTI2.016v »