Author Topic: Woulda quite liked the sat nav..  (Read 5679 times)

Offline pauliem

• GTI forum regular
Re: Woulda quite liked the sat nav..
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2013, 23:37 »
I only recently discovered that my Scirocco has a 6 disc changer, I've never used the CD player, ever.

Offline SF-GTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2013, 09:25 »
But single cd payer in the glovebox is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Will a six disc changer be possible retro fitted?

You say you would have liked the sat nav, but don't want a single CD player in the glove box.  Does the standard stereo not have the single CD player in the glove box regardless?  I don't think ordering sat nav makes any difference.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2013, 09:34 »
Yes, for the UK at least, all of the MK7 platform infotainment units utilize a CD / DVD drive that is glove box mounted (even the Nav versions). No versions (for the UK) have a CD / DVD slot on the head unit itself.  The part that most people think from photographs is a CD slot in the fascia, is actually the infra-red proximity bar that detects the hand movement towards the unit.

In fact the touch screen unit in the dash is just that (with nothing behind it), see below. All the electronics, amp, tuner CD drive etc are in the unit contained in the glovebox.

Discover Nav by Sootchucker, on Flickr

CD drive by Sootchucker, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 24 April 2013, 09:37 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2013, 09:46 »
Norbreck, do you know where the iPhone/mp3 lead will be?  In the middle armrest console as per previous versions?
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline SF-GTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2013, 10:09 »
It's in the little section behind the gear stick.  It's quite handy as you can cover your iPhone/iPod by closing the cover and the surface has a rubber lining to stop it moving about too much.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2013, 10:09 »
From what I've seen it look like it is in the little compartment that flips up at the bottom of the dash, in front of the gear stick.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2013, 10:14 »
This video shows where it sits at 1:40..

http://youtu.be/AtyjLRFpVdw

:wink:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2013, 10:18 »
Excellent stuff, thanks chaps.  That's a much better place than on the previous golf, nice and easy.  Now we just have to hope they provide the lead/lightning adapter in time  :rolleyes:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2013, 11:37 »
I know everyone's answered above, but I thought a little picture wouldn't go astray ?

IPod by Sootchucker, on Flickr
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 24 April 2013, 14:19 »
That's very interesting about the fascia bit being just that.
Wonder how long til some clever person works out how to run the bigger (pro) screen with the lesser spec discovery nav until connected? hmmmm...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner