Author Topic: Did you have all this uncertainty ordering the first Mk6's  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Did you have all this uncertainty ordering the first Mk6's
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2013, 04:44 »
I've never bought a brand new car before so am used to getting whatever spec a used car has on it then adding bits I want. All part of the fun and keeps me occupied.

As for teething issues, well, at least I might get a bit of time in some nice loan cars to see what the rest of the VW range is like to drive!! And if it gets that bad VW can always offer to service my car for free!!

Life is full of uncertainties and I'm just along for the ride.

The spec on the mk7 is quite high as standard and thus I've decided to bite the bullet and buy new rather than have my usual fun of spending about three to six months phoning dealers and haggling over ex-demos etc.
Might be a first and last time!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2013, 14:11 »
I remember more the why does my very first one off the factory line have so many problems more. Which is one reason to wait a year so all the first niggles are worked out.

You really have to like the free coffee in the VW showroom to buy first of batch!
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2013, 15:47 »
I remember more the why does my very first one off the factory line have so many problems more. Which is one reason to wait a year so all the first niggles are worked out.

You really have to like the free coffee in the VW showroom to buy first of batch!
I've heard quite a few people joke about this around the pub and whatnot but is there actually any evidence of an increased risk if you buy early?  I mean, particularly on high volume models like Golfs, and with all the testing they do and reputation to protect, I feel like by the time they get round to shipping vehicles to customers the line must be operating to a good level.  Since the GTD/GTI is a derivative of the models that have already been available for a while wouldn't this also reduce the risk?  Or is there a separation of the GTI line from the standard Golf models?

So, if there are any stats kicking around that show you get more problems on early order that would be interesting, if there isn't I'm inclined to see this as a possible urban legend.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2013, 16:04 »

Lol! Says the bloke who's car was on a flat bed after the first week! :evil:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2013, 17:13 »

I've heard quite a few people joke about this around the pub and whatnot but is there actually any evidence of an increased risk if you buy early?  I mean, particularly on high volume models like Golfs, and with all the testing they do and reputation to protect, I feel like by the time they get round to shipping vehicles to customers the line must be operating to a good level.  Since the GTD/GTI is a derivative of the models that have already been available for a while wouldn't this also reduce the risk?  Or is there a separation of the GTI line from the standard Golf models?

So, if there are any stats kicking around that show you get more problems on early order that would be interesting, if there isn't I'm inclined to see this as a possible urban legend.

It's true. Every new car I've had (first batch) have had loads of issues, especially with Audi's. However, this is balanced with compensation lol
Mk7 Golf GTD on order for 64 plate delivery
5 door
Pure White

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2013, 17:37 »

Lol! Says the bloke who's car was on a flat bed after the first week! :evil:

Yes, you are absolutely spot on, that should read:

You really have to like the free coffee in the VW showroom to buy VW!
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2013, 17:41 »
It's true. Every new car I've had (first batch) have had loads of issues, especially with Audi's. However, this is balanced with compensation lol

Not ignoring your experience, but *technically* that is not very statistically significant as its a sample of one!  Of course the number of first batch new cars you've had could make this more or less significant, but what I was really interested in was if there was a study somewhere linking the reported problems to how new the vehicle/line was.

Also do we count the UK mk7 GTI as first batch?  The standard mk7 has been out for a while and in GTIs ship a month or two earlier in Europe right?  So some issues might be ironed out that way.  I would guess it largely depends on if everything is going through the same line, which I assume it is.

Yeah, too many assumptions!
« Last Edit: 24 April 2013, 17:42 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2013, 20:56 »
I suppose it could be down to luck at the end of the day? After my first bad experience with buying a "first batch" car (which incidentally was a first generation BMW Mini, riddled with build problems eg dodgy seat mechanism, faulty airbags, faulty tyre pressure sensors, faulty seat belt mechanism) I swore I would never make the same mistake & would wait a year after new model releases.

However 10 years later I've gone on to buy four other "first batch" cars (Ford Focus ST, BMW E92 335, Mitsubishi Evo VIII, VW Mk6 GTi)...  firstly because I can't stand waiting for things & secondly there's something 'pleasing' about being one of the lucky first few. However out of the four only ONE has given me problems... What's worrying is that it was the Golf that's had the problems (new engine fitted due to faulty timing chain tensioner, missing door grommets, blanking plates).

I just hope its not a sign of things to come!!!
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline mark@vorny.co.uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2013, 21:04 »
Just enjoy the suspense folks. I am truly envious.

I ordered a Fiat 500 (yes, I am ready for the mickey take) 8 months before launch, there was all the mis-information, but I didn't let it spoil the suspense, got the spec mostly as I wanted and still have it some 5 years later and will pass it to my lad in a couple of years time when he reaches 17. You almost have to have a slightly different mindset and go with the flow.

The Golf's have been what's in stock at the end of the dealers month when the targets have been missed. Makes for bargains but little choice.

2012 GTi 3 door, DSG, Nav, Roof, Monza's. Candy White..... and it's the wife's.
2013 Abarth 595, 2013 911 C4S.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #19 on: 26 April 2013, 09:34 »
sometimes its longer than a year.
I waited a year with the Mk6, I wish I had waited a year and a half.
Mine has the weak poorly designed chain tensioner in the engine. A ticking timebomb
A few months after mine was built they fitted a.revised much stronger but still not perfect one. :angry:

With my experience of current VW models I won't be going anywere near a totally new model like the Mk7 for at least 2 to 3 years until we find out what the engineers have cost cut on to please their accountant bosses.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2013, 09:38 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.