Author Topic: MK2 Golf GTi £350 project  (Read 6071 times)

Offline nickvw

• Here all the time
MK2 Golf GTi £350 project
« on: 03 May 2013, 15:06 »
Right then thought i would do a bit of a project thread on here after reading alot of the threads recently and wanting to get a project of my own !

The story began with me getting outbid on ebay but a couple of weeks later the guy selling it rang me and said he was getting messed around by the winning bidder and was i still interested, so after a deal was struck i got the car for £350

Anyway here's a couple of rubbish pics from the night i picked it up, I'm quite lucky as my mate has a recovery truck so £20 in diesel and it was back at mine........

As it stands it has no tax or mot and has been stood in this guys garage for 18 months, The gearbox went on him and he fitted the gearbox from a mk1 gti but didnt realise the driveshaft flages on the mk1 are 90mm and they are 100mm on the mk2.

The plan is to source a second hand box and fit that, hopefully the sale of the mk1 box will fund the mk2 one !

The engine starts and runs fine even after all this time so once the gearbox is sorted i will get all the service parts together and give it a service and some fresh fuel.

The rest of the car is ok afew bits of rust here and there but solid underneath, the paint is a solid black LO41 and is very dull and full of swirls but i'm sure it will come up good with a polish.

There are afew bits of trim want sorting inside and out and the front breaks are all in a box ready for rebuilding when the gearbox is done.

The long term plan is to get the gearbox sorted and see how she drives then get it taxed and mot'd then tidy the body and make it abit more oem as i'm not a fan of the single wiper mod or the eyebrow spoiler, also the air filter needs to go.

Will update with better pics later

Offline nickvw

• Here all the time
Re: MK2 Golf GTi £350 project
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2013, 15:47 »
Some better pics from the day after  :smiley: