Author Topic: Clutch Cable Question  (Read 4767 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Clutch Cable Question
« on: 11 June 2018, 10:28 »
If you have a manual adjustment clutch cable, can you replace like-for-like with a self adjusting cable? If so, what addition bits do or don't you need compared to a manual adjustment cable?

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline h8v

• Not said much yet
Re: Clutch Cable Question
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2018, 07:57 »
I replaced the original self adjusting cable with a manual one about 20 years ago.

Can't remember what issue caused me to change it, but the manual cable has been satisfactory since then.

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2018, 10:53 »
Can we replaced like for like - you just have better ability to adjust the manual one and less troublesome.  There is a support rod attached to the gearbox that holds the clutch cable upright.  On the auto the collar is wider at the top.  I just fashioned a new rod from a welding rod and with a smaller collar to accommodate the manual cable.  Not a necessary addition as these rods are sometimes missing but worth doing if you like things looking right.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2018, 15:53 »
By the sounds of things, people often switch from the self-adjusting version to the manual. Probably just stick with that for now then.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2018, 19:10 »
6 and half a dozen really. manual cables don't need adjusted very often after the initial stretch.