Author Topic: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement  (Read 19447 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #70 on: 28 March 2019, 09:07 »
Just looked at that video of the Golf being stolen - shocking. Though good to have neighbours like that.

Does anyone have any views/experience on using a steering wheel lock? The full covering Disklock type would 'appear' to prevent anyone driving away?

When 4 guys have entered your house with whatever weapons I don't think a disklock is going to stop them!

But certainly stops the keyless theft - although does that just mean they will come into the house like this one?

Just heard this am that keyless systems now blamed for the increase in vehicle thefts - 29% increase from 2017, now 1 car every 6 minutes in the UK  :shocked:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #71 on: 28 March 2019, 12:13 »
Im sure insurance costs on cars with keyless entry will rocket now  :undecided:

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #72 on: 28 March 2019, 21:04 »

They might well do.As yet it's not a question i've ever encountered when applying for insurance.But it's sure to change soon.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 28 March 2019, 23:13 »

They might well do.As yet it's not a question i've ever encountered when applying for insurance.But it's sure to change soon.

As well as potential premium increases, insurers may also insist on the fitment of additional Thatcham approved security measures before they’re prepared to insure a keyless performance hatch. That was the approach many insurers took in the 1980’s with hot hatches.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 29 March 2019, 10:58 »

I imagine we will all pay for the increase!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
« Reply #75 on: 19 March 2020, 21:29 »
What was the end result with this.

I must say the theft aspect with these cars is a worrying prospect.....well not the theft but the manner in which they are stolen and the lengths the thieves go to. Almost all go by “2 in one” burglaries where the home is entered either when the occupants are out or in bed. This is really the only way the car can be taken barring the keyless bypass.

Im looking for a Gti at the moment and it is troubling me somewhat. The car being stolen off the drive is one thing but the burglary element is very concerning. I get the weekly lists of vehicles stolen in my county and certainly the Gti doesn’t feature particularly highly compared to the R or the performance Audi’s but it does remain a concern.

Part of me thinks is it worth the trouble of owning one but then you should be able to have whatever car you want sat on your drive.

To date the reluctance of the dealers to do any sort of a deal on their 19 plate cars is taking that decision away from me anyway !
« Last Edit: 19 March 2020, 21:36 by Ashtons99 »

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #76 on: 19 March 2020, 22:25 »
Did you ever get a car sorted sandsy

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #77 on: 20 March 2020, 20:22 »
Hey - can't believe all this was a year ago. Short story is all sorted got car back and it's great and now lives in garage!

Longer story if you can be bothered....

It took a while to get it fixed and then got caught up with "changing" or maybe re-coding locks. Turned out the insurer didn't remove the stolen flags from the systems and the car somehow "knew" this and wouldn't let VW re-code it. Surprisingly VW didn't seem to know this and I was the one who eventually phoned insurers and asked them to check. This then sorted it. Can't remember all the dates now but after being stolen at start of Feb and recovered mid to late Feb I dont think i got it back until end ish April. Was cutting around in 1.0L Fiesta for a while!

The repair was really good. They did about 1000 miles in the 6 or so days they had it (i had done just under10k miles when it got stolen). I am quite careful with fuel most of the time - when i fill it up it says it has about 380 miles in tank. When i got it back and filled it up it said something like 250 so guess they booted it around a bit. It also needed service quite quick after that so got it all checked. The only thing i have really noticed is that the rear tint does seem to have marks on it but didn't notice at the time. Not terrible but annoying when i look after it.

While i was waiting for it to come back I got an electric garage door and new house alarm incl garage sensor. Cost quite a bit but car now lives in garage all the time. But it's well looked after and feels mine again.

A costly and undeserved escapade but thankfully not an issue now. As an aside, my wife's handbag and a couple of things in the car (like car park token) are being held by the police as evidence. This did go into a bigger case as was gang related (google operation greenbay edinburgh or lothians) but no sign of these being released.

Final point - i can't remember if i discussed this, but they did snap our locks to get in the house. I have since personally fitted anti snap locks and would recommend looking into. Youtube video is an eye opener!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #78 on: 20 March 2020, 20:44 »
Good news sandsy, glad you've been able to bond again and enjoy owning your car!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #79 on: 20 March 2020, 20:56 »
Good news sandsy, glad you've been able to bond again and enjoy owning your car!

Echoed. :afro:

What a great attitude you have surrounding it all sandsy  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner