Author Topic: The Riddle Of my Mk2 Golf  (Read 2455 times)

Fielder5757

The Riddle Of my Mk2 Golf
« on: 24 April 2004, 18:15 »
This is a rather complicated problem i have, It seems my Golf Has a Identity Problem.

Out of the showroom it had TSW alloys, No arch Flares, Leather Gear Knob and gater, Gray Racing Style Seats (not like Sparco Etc, But sport styled) Single Light front Grill, Two Red stripes on each side, One thick and one Thin and a CL badge on the back.

Ive always been puzzled as i know the golfs a 1.6 and it wasnt imported, Yet everyone who drive it stock said it handled like a GTI and felt like it was pushing around 100BHP (the Driver having 90)

So i went to a scrap yard to have a look around, All the drivers had the leather gear knob, The same seats but no stripes, and no TSW alloys. Then i took a look at all the CLs, They had the rubber Gear knob, The rubber Gaters, but again No stripes.

Have i stumbled apon some form of special edition car without realising it? Or do i have a Driver without the Driver badge or twin lamps? Or maybe Just a CL? i looked at a Drivers engine and they looked identical in everyway unlike the CL engines, But this could be because all the CLs where A-D reg and mine is a F reg

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 24 April 2004, 18:19 by Fielder5757 »

VeeDubGTI16v

Re:The Riddle Of my Mk2 Golf
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2004, 18:18 »
i think the driver was just a model to use up some gti trim cos mine had loads of gti bits on it.  ???

Fielder5757

« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2004, 18:47 »
It seems on the cars documents that its a CL, However it has had some repainting and reapair from a accodent a while ago, And the papers seem fairly new, So does the log book. Could i be in possession of a dodgy car??  ???

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2004, 19:00 »
check the sticker in the boot if its still there. im sure vw can tell you from the codes on it

vwsystems

« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2004, 09:25 »
the previous owners may have spruced it up abit!
as long as vin numbers tally and the vin stamped into the metal below the winscreen is ok........you have nothing to worry about.........

your 1.6 is 75bhp where as the drivers are 1.8 and are 90bhp.

you should have a twin progressive choke,downdraught with automatic choke, carb
type 2e2 on looking at the drivers they have the same carb but different jets!

the 1.6 and 1.8 engines are idential.....
the drivers use a 5speed box....... and the 1.6 5 speed use the same box......... gain the only difference will be lower ratios.......

i soppse its good if you have a faster than usual car...

Fielder5757

« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2004, 11:32 »
Hmm..I suppose all will be releaved when we take the car to the AMD rolling road session, See how much Horsepower im producing  ;D

Blue MK2

« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2004, 12:12 »
ringer :D

Fielder5757

« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2004, 12:14 »
Geh??

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2004, 20:22 »
ringer is a clone of a car, or a car thats has the identity of another car, is sometimes done to cover up write offs/stolen etc!

and drivers are available in 1.6 and 1.8 flavours, the other 1.6 is a ryder. i noticed my driver had gti trim on the outside and power steering and marks ryder had neither. mk2 late 1.3's were called gay things like 'golf pretty' :o etc. they also did a 1.0 golf but i imagine that would be crap.

Fielder5757

« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2004, 23:20 »
Hmmm thats another thing, I have power steering  :-\ Ive taken off the stripes now, But if you want a pic of what they used to look like ive got one kicking around. Its very puzzling because all the other CLs ive looked at just have very plain looking outsides and insides.

Also i noticed my interiour is IDENTICAL to that of a friends 1.8 GL, AND my original bumpers had chrome strips around the edge, Any ideas?