Author Topic: VW UK's Choice of 18" Alloys not good ?  (Read 23997 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
VW UK's Choice of 18" Alloys not good ?
« on: 01 February 2013, 08:11 »
Don't know if I'm alone on this, but seeing all the press photos of the MK7 running on the beautiful 18" Duban alloy wheels, made me want to go any check one out at the dealers. I was therefore a little surprised to discover that the alloys wheels that are plastered all over VW's web site, are not actually available in the UK  :angry:

We have the choice of these "Serron" alloys only, which I think (my own opinion only of course) look horrible.

Serron Alloys by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Why can't we have the "Durban" alloys that VW are advertising the car with ?

Durban by Sootchucker, on Flickr

and the full photo

Mk7-Golf-Deals by Sootchucker, on Flickr

The dealership told me no way could they get these alloy wheels, even if it meant loosing an order. Strange VW UK, very strange. Why mess with the line up, when they are clearly available to order on the continent ?
« Last Edit: 01 February 2013, 08:13 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline I.D.C.

• GTI forum regular
Re: VW UK's Choice of 18" Alloys not good ?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2013, 09:01 »
There will be more wheels added as time goes on it was the same when the mark 6 GTI first came out it took a wee while before alternative wheels were on offer.
I have a set of Vancouver’s silver and black and although was hoping to put them onto the mark7 ( which I can’t ) Would never buy alloys like that again. Got one of the Vancouver’s fixed that was slightly scraped. Because they are diamond cut it’s expensive to fix 200 pounds per wheel and not everywhere can fix them. Compare that to normal alloys which are 200 for the four wheels.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2013, 10:26 »
Its all very subjective.
The Durban alloys for me are  :sick: whereas I much prefer the Serron.
Unfortunately VW can't please all the people all of the time!

What is your full photo of as these are different from the other 2?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2013, 10:53 »
My tastes are the opposite to P3asa. I think the Serrons look like something off the Ripspeed stand in Halfords.

I've got the full car picture as my desktop background. I really like those wheels, but would have guessed at them being 19's
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2013, 12:38 »
Just order a set from a German dealer!

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2013, 13:07 »
Just order a set from a German dealer!

But that will cost the thick end of £2000 + tyres as opposed to £400 odd as a factory upgrade.

Granted you will be able to sell the cars original wheels, but not for that much cash.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2013, 13:12 »
I hope I.D.C. is correct and they will added later this year.

As per above poster, buying alloys separately from a German dealer would be way too expensive.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2013, 14:27 »
I like the Durban's rather than the Serron and with the other replies just shows that we are all different in tastes (good to be that way in my opinion)

I wonder whether they will launch some options with the GTD/GTI/.:R models as options?

Not many people buying a 1.4TSi will be looking at the 18s so perhaps its a recongition from VWUK of that at this stage in the launch of the full range?

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2013, 16:21 »
What is the spec of the new wheels for the Mk 7 (i.e 112 diameter, offsets etc)

Will Mk 6 wheels fit OK ?

Everybody's taste in wheels does appear to be different  :smiley:  I'm one of the rare few that liked the Glendales on the Mk 6 and I quite like the Serron's - I presume they are diamond cut outer edge and black paint inside.  I do like the Durban's too ... I think it would come down to the paint colour of the car as to which I'd prefer  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: 02 February 2013, 16:40 by JonnyG »
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2013, 17:43 »
They are definitely 5 x 112, but I have not found out about the offsets for sure yet. Someone was told by their dealer that his Vancovers won't fit his new Mk7. I wonder whether cars with torsion beam suspension will have a different wheel offset to the ones with independent rear suspension.

Funny thing is tho', On all the press pics of the MQB platform, it's got Vancouvers on it.