Author Topic: Tuning for the mk7?  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Tuning for the mk7?
« on: 02 January 2013, 13:43 »
Just to liven the mk7 boards up a bit whilst we (impatiently) wait for the GTI and GTD to arrive:

Have any of you guys been around the Audi forums and seen what the revised engines used in the mk7 tune to?

I noticed a while ago that ABT now do piggy back ECUs to get around encrypted software but haven't seen any figures yet.

I would have thought the GTI with its fancy camshaft adjusters should tune really well.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Tuning for the mk7?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2013, 15:06 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that those ABT tuning box things were something like £1100.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2013, 16:10 »
It looks like it may have to be something like that.

From what I have read all the ECUs in the MK7, petrol and diesel will be locked.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2013, 20:15 »
we can tune the new 1.6 CR TDI and 3.0 TFSI simos "locked" ECUs now, although I have to use several different bits of hardware to complete the task. I can't see the MK7 remaps taking too long to hit the market, the demand will be there so the big software names will put the development funds in to it I'm sure.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2013, 09:33 »
Exonian
It dependant which version of the new engine the GTI gets.
If it gets the older Audi version of the EA888 it won't be that much.more tunnable
If it gets the new Audi version the one they sneaked into 2012 TTs without saying anything it will be very tunable.
I expect its probably the older Audi unit myself.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2013, 11:46 »
In some off the press releases they state:

" In the base 217bhp Golf GTI, maximum torque has been increased by 52lb-ft (70 Nm) to 258lb-ft (350 Nm)"

This would imply the same as the 2012 TT engine, lets hope  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2013, 16:23 »
They're definitely saying it's the higher torque output model in the press releases and probably hence why it's so easy for them to release the extra 10bhp in the upgrade package, just a quick tweak of a camshaft and hey presto, not even any extra boost.

That's what made me set this thread up as the new TTs are supposedly tuning really well...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2013, 21:03 »
I'll have a MK7 very soon so I'll let you know what's what - GT TDI 150PS I think?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Murrayedition35

• I live here
  • Edition 35 3dr Manual - Deep Black.
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2013, 17:00 »
Maybe worth buying a motor that you don't have to tune...as it seems when you tune, you always have problems.... :grin: