Author Topic: How To: Colour code standard valances.  (Read 7124 times)

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
  • MK4 GT TDI 130 - DERV POWER!!
How To: Colour code standard valances.
« on: 20 January 2011, 20:54 »
I was fed up of my standard valances and had no money for anni ones so I decided I would have a go at colour coding my standard valances. I used the other 3 guides on here and read them to help me find the info I needed to get a good finish.

Materials needed:

Medium grade sandpaper - I used 240 grade.

600, 800 and 1200 grade wet and dry sandpaper.

1 x can of grey plastic primer

1 x can of filler primer

1 x can of reflex silver (you'd obviously get the colour of your car)

1 x can of clear lacquer

STEP 1: First thing to do is use some medium grade sandpaper to rub down the valance. As the standard valances have a bobbly textured finish the aim of this step is to remove the texture from the valance and to make it as smooth as a baby's bum. It will take some time to achieve the smooth finish you are looking for but remember any bits you miss will show up once it is painted. Once I was happy I used 600, 800 and 1200 grade wet and dry sandpaper to help get the valance really smooth.

STEP 2: After you've sanded it to a finish your happy with get yourself a clean cloth and some warm soapy water to wipe off any dust/dirt left on the valance. The smallest speck of dust/dirt will show up once you start spraying the valance.Once your happy with the finish you'll be ready for the plastic primer. One thing I never did to my valance was fill the deep scratches with some plastic filler. If your valance is new then obviously you won't need to do this part but if there are some scratches/scuffs that can't be removed through sanding then the filler will get rid of them. The purpose of the plastic primer is to create a base layer for the paint to cling to. If you was to use normal primer it wouldn't adhere to the plastic as well as the plastic primer would. Ideally you need 3-4 coats of plastic primer. Don't go mad with the stuff either. Just do light coats in slow flowing motions, side to side across the valance. This will help to keep the plastic primer even. Leave 20 mins between coats. I left the valance overnight to allow the primer to harden and dry fully before continuing with the next step.

STEP 3: Now the valance has plastic primer on you should be able to see any imperfections in the plastic which you may have missed when sanding it down. Use the varying grades of sandpaper on any bits your not happy with. Once again give the valance a wipe over with a damp, clean cloth to remove and dust/dirt. The next thing I used was filler primer. I used this because I never filled the scuffs/scratches I had on my valance. The purpose of filler primer is to fill small imperfections/scuffs/scratches to help remove them from the finish of the valance. If your happy with the finish of your valance at this stage then you may not require the filler primer. Filler primer is a lovely yellow and the finish looks like the pic below. A couple of coats of filler primer should be fine. Once again 20 mins between coats and if possible leave it overnight to harden/dry fully.

STEP 4: Now you are ready for the colour!! I did 4 coats of colour on mine. The process for spraying the colour is similar the the plastic primer except you have to be even more steady and careful. What you spray on the valance now is what will be seen so take care when spraying. Keep the strokes with the can slow and steady. Sweeping across the valance in side to side motions. If the spray is concentrated in one spot for to long it will leave spots and make the paintwork look patchy. Once again 20 mins between coats. With the final coat leave it to dry for 5 mins and then spray on one light coat of lacquer. Just the one coat of lacquer at the mo. I'm not 100% certain why but all the guides and a few pro's I spoke to said to do this. I then left this overnight to dry/harden fully.

STEP 5: All that is needed now is the final coats of lacquer. Including the one I mixed with the top coat of paint I did a total of 4 coats of lacquer. Really take your time with these coats as any mistakes or runs in the paint here and the whole thing will be ruined and possible needed to be restarted from the beginning. After the 4th coat of lacquer I put the valance in my airing cupboard to dry/harden over night.

STEP 6: Before fitting the valance I applied 4 coats of polish and a couple of coats of wax to welp protect the paintwork and add a bit more shine. And here is the final result.

« Last Edit: 20 January 2011, 21:20 by richw911 »

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
Re: How To: Colour code standard valances.
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2011, 21:08 »
cool, not a bad idea, i want mine sprayed eventually, but i was just planning on taking the car to a bodyshop and getting them to spray the whole bumper so it matches, i might prep them though
If It Comes Off, Modify It!