Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2741408 times)

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10120 on: 24 March 2020, 07:27 »
I took my winter alloys off and put my refurbed and ceramic coated summer alloys back on  :smiley:
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10121 on: 24 March 2020, 08:18 »
Sorry to hear that Exonian, I didn't realise that about matt finishes either Jim. I've only washed the car once so far and all seemed okay, I'll be very careful. Can you wax them?

You would have to check the product but most waxes (as with shampoos) add gloss so probably not if you want them to retain their matt finish.

And you can't get the machine polisher out to remove the scratches. Basically with matt, unless you ceramic coat using a specific matt product or PPF from the start, you are going to have issues.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10122 on: 24 March 2020, 08:44 »
Thanks. Not point worrying then, I'll just wash them.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #10123 on: 24 March 2020, 08:57 »
Sorry to see your paint issues Exonian, that would drive mad!

I use gtechniq G5 wheel armour, it might leave a slight satin coating on matt wheels?
The description suggests it becomes the "functional" surface of your wheels and last for a year?

It is an arduous process, I tend to do 2 wheels at a time max, so I don't rush and do a lesser job.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10124 on: 24 March 2020, 14:56 »
Thanks for the sympathies and advice  :smiley:

The matt finish on the wheels is not perfectly smooth and what I’ve found if polish is used it flats the paint and leaves a slight sheen.

Black wheels are a nightmare. Glossy ones scratch like hell too in my experience, even the black backs on polished face alloys mark like mad no matter how gently they’re treated.
If I ever get them refinished in future years I’d go for a satin finish so your suggestion of G5 wheel armour might be a good one for me to look into clubsport :afro:

In fact when the Covid apocalypse is over I might sell my Belvederes and buy a set of Reifnitz reps.
They don’t photograph well but I like the design in the flesh.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Highland28

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10125 on: 27 March 2020, 14:06 »
Cleaned the GTi this morning. I knew someone had knocked the rear drivers side door recently, but with moving house, and getting everything moved across I hadn't cleaned the golf in almost 2 months.
A good clean showed the real damage, 2 very obvious paint chips, 2 dents in the door and a horrid scratch as well. Safe to say I'm pretty gutted just now.
When we all get back to normal, I'm going to have to have a chat with a few body shops to see what can be done.
2013 Night Blue GTi with heated leather seats.

dervy

« Reply #10126 on: 27 March 2020, 16:54 »
Before contacting a body shop, try Dent Devils. They may not be able to help with the scratches, but they work wonders with dents. I had a motorcycle delivery ride push his bike into my car causing a large dent. Bodyshops all told me it would need filler/ respray etc. Dent Devils removed the dent to the extent that you can’t see a thing - £165!

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #10127 on: 27 March 2020, 18:47 »
Had 4 x MPS4Ss fitted to R plus 2x Conti 6s to the other one. By Kwik Fit mobile.
Can you believe I can’t. VG price and great fitter.
Won’t get chance to use them for 3 months? Ironically did it as MOT’s are due.
Since cancelled bas we all have 6 months grace.
Btw the 310 R is near 3 years old and still special. Am looking fwd to lavishing it with upgrades in years to come.
If I make it through this horror show. Isolate my friends and feel for the younger with commitments and insecurity.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #10128 on: 27 March 2020, 19:33 »
I’ve spent two days cleaning and polishing the car, I’m bloody knackered but pleased with the results, Couldn’t believe the amount of tar on the car. Car still wearing its winter wheels & tyres - they are being swapped next week

« Last Edit: 27 March 2020, 20:36 by Eccie »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10129 on: 27 March 2020, 20:25 »
2 days very well spent there Eccie! DA or hand polish?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.