Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2776363 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10110 on: 21 March 2020, 13:59 »
They look great! The caps wouldn't have looked right on mine so all's good :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10111 on: 21 March 2020, 16:46 »
Fitted red LED footwell lights and replaced the glovebox light (a bulb) with one of the redundant white LED lights. Bit of a faff as the new lights were slightly longer necessitating my taking a file to increase the size of the hole but they look good and it ties all the interior lighting together. All for £15 :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10112 on: 22 March 2020, 17:21 »
Took it for a wee spin today with the OH. Just to get out and about. Had the sunroof and windows open, felt great and my OH loved it too. Could also hear the exhaust better which even she enjoyed! Because of that, when we went through a tunnel under the M25 I popped the lever into S and gave the loud pedal a good shove :evil: I was hoping for some upshift pops but we ran out of tunnel before it changed gear :rolleyes:. Rather childish but good fun...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10113 on: 22 March 2020, 17:42 »
Took it for a wee spin today with the OH. Just to get out and about. Had the sunroof and windows open, felt great and my OH loved it too. Could also hear the exhaust better which even she enjoyed! Because of that, when we went through a tunnel under the M25 I popped the lever into S and gave the loud pedal a good shove :evil: I was hoping for some upshift pops but we ran out of tunnel before it changed gear :rolleyes:. Rather childish but good fun...

Got to be done Watts!

Same here, fairly empty roads this morning in the Peaks (apart of loads of cyclists and walkers) and actually managed to chuck some water over it yesterday afternoon so it looks sort of clean.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10114 on: 22 March 2020, 18:13 »

Got to be done Watts!

Same here, fairly empty roads this morning in the Peaks (apart of loads of cyclists and walkers) and actually managed to chuck some water over it yesterday afternoon so it looks sort of clean.

Beautiful part of the world that looks Jim, car looks great too!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10115 on: 22 March 2020, 19:04 »
Despite still feeling crappy, I managed to press the loud pedal a little bit today on some empty country roads - first dabble in sport!  :smiley:
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10116 on: 22 March 2020, 19:32 »
Despite still feeling crappy, I managed to press the loud pedal a little bit today on some empty country roads - first dabble in sport!  :smiley:

Good for you! It'll get under your skin quite quickly and the inauspicious start to your relationship will be long forgotten :smiley: And come on, you can't be upset with a TR car surely! Hope you feel better soon too :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10117 on: 23 March 2020, 23:28 »
Spent bloody hours scrubbing filth off the TCR today.
I won’t bore everyone with before and after pics as I think we all know what a Golf looks like BUT a couple things became apparent.
Firstly the matt mirror caps scratch like hell on rural hedges despite me being über cautious.
(You might have to zoom in as the phone camera didn’t pick them up well but they look loads worse in the flesh)

html image host

Secondly the matt wheels also scratch if so much as gently touched with the plastic handle of a wheel woolie. The only other matt black wheels I’ve owned in the past were a brand new set of Edition 30 black Monzas which also scratched if you do much as looked at them and I subsequently sold them because of this.

(excuse soapy fingerprint, I was trying gauge depth of scratch with my nail)

Hardly the worst thing going on in the world right now but a word of caution to TCR owners nonetheless

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10118 on: 24 March 2020, 06:27 »
Spent bloody hours scrubbing filth off the TCR today.
I won’t bore everyone with before and after pics as I think we all know what a Golf looks like BUT a couple things became apparent.
Firstly the matt mirror caps scratch like hell on rural hedges despite me being über cautious.
(You might have to zoom in as the phone camera didn’t pick them up well but they look loads worse in the flesh)

Secondly the matt wheels also scratch if so much as gently touched with the plastic handle of a wheel woolie. The only other matt black wheels I’ve owned in the past were a brand new set of Edition 30 black Monzas which also scratched if you do much as looked at them and I subsequently sold them because of this.

(excuse soapy fingerprint, I was trying gauge depth of scratch with my nail)

Hardly the worst thing going on in the world right now but a word of caution to TCR owners nonetheless

Easily done I guess. It’s worth noting from my limited experience with Matt paint. It’s a proper PITA from a detailing perspective.

You need to use non gloss shampoo on it, you can’t use normal methods for getting contamination off (so no claybar), you obviously can’t polish it and you can’t use normal detailing sprays to finish it.

It’s not a major problem when it’s just your wheels and mirror caps but I detailed a new Range Rover 5.0 Autobiography in factory Matt pearlescent and it was a nightmare. It already had watermarks on the roof which couldn’t be removed. And applying the Matt ceramic coat was not fun!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10119 on: 24 March 2020, 06:47 »
Sorry to hear that Exonian, I didn't realise that about matt finishes either Jim. I've only washed the car once so far and all seemed okay, I'll be very careful. Can you wax them?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.