Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 64107 times)

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - ISV fitted dyno results P17
« Reply #180 on: 03 January 2013, 20:35 »
Damn this is good if i had the time i would try and do this  :grin: I'm sure the ABF is a good engine for doing this sort of thing with ?  Are they as strong as vr6's on standard internals?

A VR can cope up to ~400hp, an ABF would need rods changing if going over 350hp if using the stronger 2E rods. I think a standard rods are a bit weaker but how much is anyones guess.
There are many cars running 220 - 300 hp on boost, with a standard engines and stacked gaskets. whether its a supercharger or turbo. I've just not seen any in a mk3.

The ABF is a strong engine  :wink:

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #181 on: 15 July 2013, 20:06 »
Update time.

Not much been happening over the past few months apart from collecting bits for my gear box rebuild. And purchasing a stronger wastgate spring.

The wastegate spring was to try and hold onto the boost for longer up the rev range.  Initially I found a spring very cheap on the net. It was a 2 bar and it was ideal from what I'd read would give me what I wanted.

So it arrived and I fitted it one evening after work. It seemed very stiff when fitting it. Causing me a bit of trouble fitting wastegate cap back on. Went for a quick drive and as I put my foot down. Boost rose to past 25psi!!! That wasn't right as i felt engine overboost protection cut in. 

No wonder it was cheap! Instead of 2 bar absolute it must have been 2 bar gauge. It was confirm the next day when I called supplier.

I managed to track down a proper spring in the uk that was 2bar absolute which should give around 1 bar gauge pressure. Only place I'd previously found was 034 Motorsport in the US and shipping was too expensive to justify it.

Once fitted I did a few runs to check minimum boost pressure. This was better at around 1.1bar(17psi) but still too high. I did a bit if research and found the wastegate can be adjusted slightly on the spring seat. There's a little disc in the middle of the cap that needs removing to reveal an Allen screw. I drilled a little hole and screwed a self tapper in to remove the disc. I then reduce the tension on the spring and settled for a minimum of .98 bar. This gives the boost control more range of adjustment and doesn't need so much duty to increase boost.

Hopefully this means I can get a bit more out on the dyno as does pull better past 5k now.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:31 by tshirt2k »

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #182 on: 15 July 2013, 20:22 »
So i sent up my OBX up to Hotgolf along with all bearings and synchros as he was going to be building it. I also sent new bellville washers from quaife as the OBX ones were known to fail.  He was also going to open it up and check its condition as they were known to have a few issues. He opened it up he found a surprise. It no longer resembled a quaife/peloquin but something else.

You can see if anyone has seen inside a quaife how different it is. The washers I got couldn't be used and there is a wavy section in the middle and some carbon/Kevlar bits that must add preload to help lock the diff better.

Spoke to Hotgolf who said he was impressed with it and said they'd "upped their game". I was happy with that.

The box was stripped down and all bits were replaced and new diff fitted with a VR6 final drive within a few days.

Box stripped down old diff removed.

Box during build with new diff in place with VR crown wheel, preload set.

Box complete.

Once the box was back I decided to give it a clean and paint up considering its value. Lol

Etch primed, painted wheel silver and 2k lacquered.

Fitted the box yesterday and  I'm very impressed with it so far. Have loads of grip now even with worn tyres. Box feels so smooth like a new car and transforms the handling. The diff does its job and needed no machining to fit in the case. Must be testament to the skills of Hotgolf. Would recommend him highly for this type of work, with a rapid turnaround.

Most people think about power, but a gearbox with the right ratios and an LSD can work wonders.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:32 by tshirt2k »

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
A very nice update. Love the lsd (just know what it means and does) would love to know how to do all this but naah. If you dont mind me asking you, how much did the gb cost (lsd, rebuild & part)
Keep it up
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
Looks a load different to my Quaife one.

Glad your pleased with it, can't wait to test mine.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
A very nice update. Love the lsd (just know what it means and does) would love to know how to do all this but naah. If you dont mind me asking you, how much did the gb cost (lsd, rebuild & part)
Keep it up

Cheers.
You're looking at around a grand or more for a full rebuild depending on the price of the diff and what you pay for your spare box. My spare was a £30 DPA from the bay and due to its unknown history I opted for all bearings and synchros to be replaced. The diff all in worked out less than £480.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
Looks a load different to my Quaife one.

Glad your pleased with it, can't wait to test mine.

Yep. I don't think it's based on a quaife anymore.

More than likely something like this.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.
« Reply #187 on: 04 October 2013, 14:50 »
Nice.  :smiley: That looks brilliant.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.