Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 318584 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #210 on: 06 May 2013, 19:22 »
I saw a pearl-white Bentley at the Shell garage this morning - looked a bit odd. Is the Oryx white looking a bit less pearly than an actual white pearl? Must be hard picking a colour that you're unlikely to have seen in the flesh beyond the sample card.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #211 on: 06 May 2013, 19:26 »
Certain options will delay the build slightly from my experience - eg. dsg, dynaudio (dammit  :angry:), special paint etc.  but....should only be a week or so  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #212 on: 06 May 2013, 19:28 »
I saw a pearl-white Bentley at the Shell garage this morning - looked a bit odd. Is the Oryx white looking a bit less pearly than an actual white pearl? Must be hard picking a colour that you're unlikely to have seen in the flesh beyond the sample card.

I've seen a few pearl-white cars, from Mazda to Lexus, and they all look like a giant oyster shell (OK, I exaggerate but you get my drift!). They have a strange, almost feminine look, about them.  Of the photos and video I've seen, the ones that look the best to me are those that look like bright flat white, even if they aren't really, just dodgy white balance.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #213 on: 06 May 2013, 19:33 »
Gryzor: Like it was hewn from the innards of a large oyster shell is exactly how the Bentley looked, and it was being driven by an NUFC WAG who must've been out to enjoy the Tynemouth coast today.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #214 on: 06 May 2013, 19:36 »
Carbon Grey... all the way  :smiley:

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #215 on: 06 May 2013, 19:38 »
GolfTi: Have they finally closed the Belgian plant then, or maybe they don't make enough (given the current economic climate) to need 2 plants making the Golf? Those lucky yanks - Seen the price they pay for GTIs? $25k (£16k) and metallic paint is a free option! Theirs are made in Mexico, so labour is obviously cheaper, but even so, i'm sure Mexican VW metallic paint doesn't cost any less than ours.

My Dad is getting DSG, perhaps his will be a bit behind mine, although I did ask the question when ordering his and the dealer reckoned there was no current DSG delay.
What Belgian plant?
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #216 on: 06 May 2013, 19:40 »

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #217 on: 06 May 2013, 19:50 »
Gryzor: Like it was hewn from the innards of a large oyster shell is exactly how the Bentley looked, and it was being driven by an NUFC WAG who must've been out to enjoy the Tynemouth coast today.

Yup, it's the closest I can come to describing it, with all those green/pink rainbow hues.  The Oryx paint sample shows the same, and I definitely don't want my car shimmering like that.  Now, a nice bit of minimalist metal flake in an otherwise flat white could be quite nice.

Sorry guys, realise this is a bit off-topic.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #218 on: 06 May 2013, 19:51 »
It should be OK to have Oryx White where I live.  If it really is too pearlesent I can park it amongst the Lobster pots and shell fish at the beach, which is where it will reside most of summer months anyway...  The beach that is not amongst lobster pots  :smiley:

I have seen a couple cars with Oryx White in the flesh and it really is not as bad as the other cars you describe.  It is a much flatter subtle pearl effect.  Not gawdy or tacky like some of the others do.  There was a special edition Golf R a year or two ago which was Oryx White.  I thought it actually looked quite smart... and to note it was also not feminine or WAG like.

Check out the link below for the Golf R in Oryx White, it actually looks quite smart.   

http://www.mad4wheels.com/webpics/hires/00007666%20-%202011%20Volkswagen%20Golf%20R%20Oryx%20White/2011_Volkswagen_Golf_R_Oryx_White_001_4232.jpg

Anyway back to the subject.  Good to hear some of us are getting earlier dates coming through. 

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #219 on: 06 May 2013, 19:55 »

Yup, it's the closest I can come to describing it, with all those green/pink rainbow hues.  The Oryx paint sample shows the same, and I definitely don't want my car shimmering like that.  Now, a nice bit of minimalist metal flake in an otherwise flat white could be quite nice.

Sorry guys, realise this is a bit off-topic.

I was talking to an old guy the other day, he'd recently took delivery of a brand new Peugeot 208. His wife chose the colour 'Rose Quartz', but she just told him it was a bronze metallic colour. He was moaning like hell as it looks bronze/gold metallic until the sun shines when it sparkles a lovely shade of pink.  :grin:

Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.