Author Topic: please help!  (Read 2641 times)

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
please help!
« on: 09 October 2006, 23:08 »
i have just got my car back from the garage as it was having its gearbox replaced.got it back on thursday night but noticed strange noise coming from it.took it back friday and they say it is the wheel bearings that are gone on it.could they have damaged them whilst fixing gearbox as this noise was def not there when i put car into garage?
knowing stealerships they wont take the blame and deny everything.

what are your thoughts
please help!

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
Re: please help!
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2006, 02:47 »
It's possible, although near impossible to prove.
I had a problem with a mechanic I used to use with a (ahem) 106 I had a while back. He changed a driveshaft as my CV joint had gone, and within about three weeks my gearbox died.
I couldn't prove it, but I've not taken any of my cars back there since.
Bluefox
Current: '84 Golf C 1.9 TDi | '01 Polo GTI | '01 Audi A2 TDi | '83 MG Metro
Previous: '83 GX | '04 R32 | '93 VR6 | '86 GTi 8v | '88 Diesel | '92 G60 | '04 Skoda Superb TDi | '90 GTi 8v | Plus many more!

Project Thread - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=270683.0

Offline pug_sport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2006, 02:56 »
Take it back to them and ask if they will fix it as you beleive that it was damaged by over tightening when they did the work as they probally used an air gun.
If they say that it was not their fault ask for them to prove that they had not over tightened them and that they had used the correct torque settings. (they wont be able to).  Then tell them that you are not happy about the service and the damage to your vehicle and that you are going to take them to small claims for the cost of repairs and the inconvenience caused.
They will then most likley agree to do the repair for free as they know that if it went to court it would cost them more than the repair whether they won or not....

It work for a friend of mine when a main dealer mucked up on a service on his van.
Sorry about the name!!!!     Best of both worlds.....
Oak Green MK2 Golf Gti (Campaign)
Black 205 1.6 Gti (soon to be Mi16)
Red 1.4 Vauxhall Astra Estate (Work Car)

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2006, 03:28 »
Not quite sure how the wheel bearings are related to the box being changed unless they took the shafts out and then mashed the uprights into the floor a few times, but then what do i know....  :lipsrsealed:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2006, 04:07 »
Unless, as I have already mentioned elsewhere, the hub nuts weren't torqued correctly. Front wheel bearings will fail very quickly if they have forgotten to correctly tighten the nut on the end of the drive shaft :wink:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2006, 09:40 »
Unless, as I have already mentioned elsewhere, the hub nuts weren't torqued correctly. Front wheel bearings will fail very quickly if they have forgotten to correctly tighten the nut on the end of the drive shaft :wink:

Correct  :wink:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2006, 12:55 »
i have now taken the car to the garage to be repaired and they spent a whole day trying to work out which side it was!                                                                          :angry:
i was under the impression they were fixing it on this day but they never!

so now they are saying that my warranty company is only willing to pay for one side to be done but vk are saying i would need to pay for the other side if they got the wrong one!

is it really that difficult to work out which side has gone???

how would i be able to check?-i checked the wheels for play but both of them seemed to be the same.is there any othr way i can check for my self?

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2006, 15:55 »
It shouldn't be a case of your warranty company paying for it, VW should pay for it as it sounds like it's their mistake.
If I'd probably instruct your warranty company not to pay them, and keep pressing VW to fix the problem.
Then, if nothing, threaten to do what pug_sport suggested - even getting your soliciter to write a letter usually puts the fear of god up most companies :)
Bluefox
Current: '84 Golf C 1.9 TDi | '01 Polo GTI | '01 Audi A2 TDi | '83 MG Metro
Previous: '83 GX | '04 R32 | '93 VR6 | '86 GTi 8v | '88 Diesel | '92 G60 | '04 Skoda Superb TDi | '90 GTi 8v | Plus many more!

Project Thread - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=270683.0

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2006, 18:17 »
Quite agreed, the bearings have failed due to incompetance on their part, therefore they are responsible for rectfiying their mistake. Warranty doesn't come into it, you had the work done, whether paid for by you or not, and it was not carried out correctly.

Offline mercedes190d

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2011, 07:28 »
well they cant be much of a garage if they cant tell you which side is causing you the problem.
when i have wheel bearing failure its usually a whining noise when going around a left or right corner that determines which one is the problem.

but i have come across a strange one thinking it was my wheel bearing on a merc some yrs ago changed the wheel bearing and was exactly the same, had a puncture the same day whilst testing it on the same side so went to get a part worn and it sounded worse, so took it back and paid a drastic £110 for a quality  new tyre, when i left there was no bearing sounding noise it was the tyre,
2 part worn tyres that did exactly the same, dont bother with part worns anymore