Author Topic: Gear box trouble  (Read 4174 times)

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
Re: Gear box trouble
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2006, 22:17 »
got car back today :smiley:
gear box feels fine but now there is a strange noise coming from car as if i can hear every cog turning now.
i cant believe it,nothing ever goes smoothly with these garages.
also im pretty sure the car didnt make this sound before but now when i switch the ignition off the car makes a few clunking sounds before it shuts off.anybody else get this problem? is this just the norm cause im pretty sure it wasnt there before but maybe im being paranoid.please help guys im pulling my hair out here

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2006, 22:53 »
Does not sound good, might be worth a return visit to the garage.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2006, 19:00 »
one of the mechanics rags were stuck in one of the hoses.unbelivable.
problem sorted.

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2006, 13:16 »
that was the ignition prob sorted but that sound is still there and mechanic says its the wheel bearings.
could have the mechanics caused this when fixing the gearbox as it def wasnt the b4

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 10 October 2006, 14:56 »
The driveshaft hub nut/bolt is torqued to a high torque. Failure to tighten it sufficiently WILL result in very rapid failure of the wheel bearing. Ideally you would have needed to check the torque yourself prior to returning the car so that you had proof that it was incorrectly torqued. They may have now rectified their mistake on your return..........damage having being done :angry:

.............I assume that you have taken the car back to the garage since the initial work was carried out?
« Last Edit: 10 October 2006, 14:59 by richandhazel »

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 10 October 2006, 16:49 »
i did take the car back but the mechanic only took me out for a run in it and he said it was the wheel bearings.he didnt look at it or anything so they wouldnt have had a chance to sort it before i got it back.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2006, 02:29 »
In that case, if I were you, I'd have a look or if you're not sure what you are looking for, get someone else to have a quick look. Could prove well worthwhile for the small effort that it would take :wink:

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2006, 16:50 »
ok,will get someone else to look at it for me.thanks for your help.will let you know the outcome but from what i have heard from this garage i dont think its going to be good :sad: