Author Topic: Rustoleum!!!!  (Read 2738 times)

Offline veedubphil

• Just got here
Rustoleum!!!!
« on: 09 July 2014, 18:30 »
Hey all. Still reasonably new to this particular forum so thought if raise an idea. I did a search and came up empty but if anyone know of another similar thread please point me in its direction.

Anyway. I stumbled upon a MK2 1.8 GTi last week that, although absolutely solid underneath has been left in a lock up neglected for years so the cosmetics are just plain rough. I'm weighing up what to do with it and had a bit of a lightbulb moment. I come from a T4 type of background so have heard and seen the odd rustoleum applied by roller finish and was curious what "car people" thought.

I know a full professional spray will always be ideal and I'm not asking for advise between the 2. I'm simply putting the idea out there see how it swims (or sinks) and if it's been done before.

Take a look at this link... Especially the Blue T25. Cheers. Phil.

http://www.club80-90.co.uk/pages/downloads/tech/paintfor%A350.pdf

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
Re: Rustoleum!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2014, 19:00 »
Can we assume that you have the car? And you paid £0 for it?

If it is solid, why are you thinking of painting it with rustoleum? Surely a deep clean, perhaps a polish and then a good step back and a long hard look is the best starting point with a barn find like you are describing?

Offline veedubphil

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2014, 19:36 »
Yes I have it (although it wasn't free but cheap). It is solid however it has been painted previously and it's in no way a nice job. It would need pretty much flatting back all over with a few small cosmetic patches here and there (I'll take a pic as and when I get 5). The drivers door and passenger arch will need replacing.

I'm positive it won't polish up I'm afraid. It's not a barn find per say. More of a garage find that's been left neglected for a few years and has had people forcing this past it, over it etc. shame really. It's passed an MOT with the only advisory being slight corrosion to brake pipes which I thought was pretty impressive.

Offline veedubphil

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2014, 19:37 »
Also by solid I mean underneath is pristine. It's what meets the eye that's the big issue.  :grin:

Offline logeyboy

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2014, 08:49 »
I say go for it.
If it turns out ok, you've got a reasonably nice looking car for peanuts.
If it turns out bad, either start again or send it off for a proper spray job.

Been toying with the idea myself - looking at getting a caddy and giving it a Euro look.

Offline veedubphil

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2014, 11:37 »
Paints ordered :grin:

Rustoleum Silver Grey. Wanted to stick within the grey family so no need to declare colour change etc. I'm not gonna be starting it for a week or 2 now as unfortunately I promised the wife a conservatory before month end so need to crack on with that (made the promise before buying the golf... I'll keep my mouth shut next time).

Once I start stripping the car I'll get some pics and may start a build thread if anyone is interested??? May help me too if someone spots something I can improve as I go.

In case anyone wonders the paint cost a grand total of £62.00. Plus I'll spend a few quid on wet and dry paper, polish etc. time will tell.

Offline kahunajb

• Here all the time
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance