Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Mcwill

• Here all the time
Insurance
« on: 17 July 2013, 15:51 »
So looks like I might be getting a 2l 16v engine fitted to my mk2, what sort of prices should I be looking to pay. 33 years old but it's a third car so can't use my full no claims bonus. Only got 3 years on this policy.
Also what do you do about the log book?

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2013, 15:57 »
How long is a piece of string?  Too many variables to determine a price - best get phoning to give you an idea.  As for the log book - up to you if you want to tell the dvla/insurer. 

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2013, 15:59 »
If it's your 3rd car try a classic insurance policy!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Mcwill

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2013, 16:15 »
How long is a piece of string?  Too many variables to determine a price - best get phoning to give you an idea.  As for the log book - up to you if you want to tell the dvla/insurer. 

Yeah we'll I was thinking should I even say? I mean if I crashed or it got stolen, would they even check? Must be a few of you guys that haven't declared?

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2013, 18:42 »
Obviously declare it for insurance, but I've never declared mine to dvla, too much hassle and it doesn't change anything for them (tax bracket etc).

As above, classic policy with limited miles will be cheapest. Many won't be interested or indeed accumulate no claims bonus mind.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2013, 21:10 »
one good thing about the 2litre 8valve swap is it looks just like a 1.8 at a glance. and a sports cam and head are undetectable unless you strip it down of course. but anyone can tell a 16v abf from an 8v pb. so if you go the abf route you should really declare it.

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2013, 21:35 »
I ve been getting quotes of around £280 for my abf this year.
That's with 10 years no claims, 30 years old and classic policy.
Forget gocompare and the rest cos it ll be more like £1500. I got one for £7496!

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2013, 21:56 »
wow that's a saving of £7216. hmmmm.....that would be about 25000percent lol.

Offline Mcwill

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2013, 23:18 »
I ve been getting quotes of around £280 for my abf this year.
That's with 10 years no claims, 30 years old and classic policy.
Forget gocompare and the rest cos it ll be more like £1500. I got one for £7496!

I'm with admiral on the muilty car policy and for all 3cars think I pay about 1700. Really don't want it to go up even more. £280 seems a bargain.

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2013, 08:34 »
It's a joke doing it online. As soon as you tick the "non standard engine" box it goes mental with the price.
Don't really get it seeing as a bored out engine or remap with more power percentage increase doesn't seem to affect the premium compared to standard. ( I ticked different boxes out  of curiosity )