Author Topic: Crank shaft sensor topic?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Tuffymk3

• Not said much yet
Crank shaft sensor topic?
« on: 06 January 2010, 22:03 »
Evening all!
Is there a topic anywhere explaining replacing the crank sensor?
Thanks guys
Mark
« Last Edit: 18 January 2010, 20:57 by Tuffymk3 »

Offline cuzza

• Not said much yet

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
Re: Crank sharft sensor topic?
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2010, 13:47 »
yeh looks the right one
there may bwe a topic somewhere, try searching
when i did mine
1 take the weight of the engine with a jack/engine hoist
2 unbolt front engine mount( the starter motor wil also be unbolted as they share bolts)
3 you should now just be able to wiggle an allen key in to remove the old sensor but it could be badly rusted and rounded out.
4 refitting is reversal of removal  :rolleyes:
most of it is covered in haynes+ check torque values as yoiu dont want the front engine mount or statr falling off!
mine was cutting out+ a scrap crank sensor solved it, hope you have good results.
PS are you sure its the sensor as it doesnt always show up properly on vagcom, you can do a test with a multimeter to check the resistance. + the cheap ones have been said to be short lived.
Good luck

Offline cuzza

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2010, 11:29 »
Cheers, I bought one as my car cut out a couple of times int he same day but hasnt done it since. Think I will hold on until it happens again\gets worse before I replace it.

Thanks

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2010, 13:02 »
yeh theres loadsa cutting out threads about, try the relays+ cleaning TB first before you go to the effort of doing the crank sensor. BTW my new crank sensor is off a scrap car+ has broken insulation so still cuts out when it gets wet, dont know if this ties in with your prob?