Author Topic: HOW TO: Change lights in dials/MFA displays & adding extra LED's - Pic Heavy  (Read 65783 times)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
which leds have you bought (part number)?
the clocks in the link are mk3 clocks aren't they? which bulbs do you wanna replace, just clocks or the ones for lcds?

there are no 12V LEDs... LEDs have forward voltage of around 1.5 ~3V depending on type, so for replacing dial ones you will need resistors... if that is just buy a few different ones (would suggest 5 different values across) from e.g. maplins between 680 and 1k5 or 2k ohms.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
which leds have you bought (part number)?
the clocks in the link are mk3 clocks aren't they? which bulbs do you wanna replace, just clocks or the ones for lcds?

there are no 12V LEDs... LEDs have forward voltage of around 1.5 ~3V depending on type, so for replacing dial ones you will need resistors... if that is just buy a few different ones (would suggest 5 different values across) from e.g. maplins between 680 and 1k5 or 2k ohms.

Your wrong there. I have 3mm 12v leds. But for the display (smd) you could get the mk4 clocks strip them down and get the smds out of them. Also go to rs componants for the leds waaaaaayyy cheaper then maplins.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
I repeat there are no 12V leds, so suspect what you got is a LED with a current limiting resistor built in which is overall rated for 12V ;)

e.g:
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/221008/BRIGHT/BR-B21V1-12V.html

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
I repeat there are no 12V leds, so suspect what you got is a LED with a current limiting resistor built in which is overall rated for 12V ;)

e.g:
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/221008/BRIGHT/BR-B21V1-12V.html

Well i got 3mm red led in the drivers windows switch which doesnt have a resistor. So you must be right.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline samehalabhar

• Just got here