Author Topic: What do you actually tell your insurance company about any mods?  (Read 12305 times)

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
well i live in dunstable half hour from luton but share same postcode and reputation for insurance scams so for me insurance will be high till i move to norfolk and it will properly half lol. Im 25 next year so i think trade policy will be best for me as i cant afford to insure 2 cars so me and the missses are sharing my golf atm.

MK3 Golf GTI 2.0 16v 3Door Storm Grey

Offline skyinsurance

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
I'm just down the road (Markyate) but thankfully have the 'AL' postcode.

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
Oh i wish the funniest thins is a 1.8 turbo 200sx was cheaper than my golf  :undecided:

Offline bhodgkiss

• Not said much yet
Re: What do you actually tell your insurance company about any mods?
« Reply #23 on: 05 November 2013, 08:20 »
I'm with A plan, you declare everything, I have a page of mods on my car and they charge me under £500.

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 05 November 2013, 08:31 »
I think its more about location these days lu5 is a big no no for cheap insurance :huh:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2013, 08:50 »
Up until a few days ago the 16v was insured with Admiral who have been pretty mod friendly the past few years.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2013, 08:52 by thai-wronghorse »

Offline D1andonlyantman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2013, 09:17 »
Im with admiral and phoned them yesterday to get a feel for how mods would affect my insurance and they said it would add about 60 quid to my insurance if I added a induction kit, diverter valve and exhaust. I'm guessing that's a catback exhaust and not full system but that's still not bad
« Last Edit: 05 November 2013, 09:20 by D1andonlyantman »
MKIV AUQ - RamAir Induction Kit, Forge007p, (Custom Exhaust, Decent TIP, N249 Bypass and remap coming soon)

TRASHED BY SOME BELLEND WHO CANT DRIVE

Replaced with Leon Cupra 225, RamAir CAI, Forge 007p, Badger5 TIP, N249 bypass, Scorpion Decat and Catback, R-tech remap pushing approx 275bhp :-)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2013, 10:28 »
I've just renewed with Sky, and I've told them every little detail, even down to my Polo aerial.

Not worth the risk of not telling them. Insurance this year was £395 for a Bora V5, all mods like-for-like and I'm only 24!

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #28 on: 05 November 2013, 11:15 »
Im with admiral and phoned them yesterday to get a feel for how mods would affect my insurance and they said it would add about 60 quid to my insurance if I added a induction kit, diverter valve and exhaust. I'm guessing that's a catback exhaust and not full system but that's still not bad

A was with Bell for a few years (sister company to admiral) and it was a similar cost for me to add wheels/exhaust etc. The majority of the cost was admin fees though :rolleyes:

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 05 November 2013, 12:01 »
My renewal is due end of the month and elephant (admiral) are the cheapest for me, the difference between no mods and if I had aftermarket alloys, vinyl wrap roof, cruises control, induction kit, remap, full exhaust system was £32... I don't think that's a bad increase and defo not worth not telling them whats changed.
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.