Author Topic: Replacing Steering Rack Gaiters 18/01/2011  (Read 24596 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Replacing Steering Rack Gaiters 18/01/2011
« on: 10 August 2006, 21:32 »
Steering Rack rebuild information for Mk1 golf cabriolet

So you might think if you ever have to replace any steering rack or steering column gaiters you will be able to get these from VW, GSF or Europarts. Well I can tell you from trying to get all the gaiters for a mk1 golf cabriolet on a 92 model, you can't. I ordered parts from VW direct and GSF and they provide the same spec rubber gaiters for the steering rack (2 gaiters) and one for the steering column - but none of them fitted my rack at all - even though VW's ETKA system shows I got the correct steering rack for my car, the gaiter information wasn't.

So I did a bit of research and it looks like ETKA DB from VW doesn't have the later VW GOLF MK1 CAB rack information correct and so here are two companies that can get you the correct gaiter for you.

http://www.typ-17.de - German site Click on: 'Technik, Aufbau und Verschleissteile Golf ,Caddy I, Jetta, Scirocco I und Polo' on RHS Nav | then 'Vorderachse + Lenkung' - scroll down and you will see items

I always email the company with details from there site on what I want - they always turn up really quickly from this company.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Cabriolet/Steering/24/1 - USA company..

Pictures of items are:

Steering rack (RHD only)
Drivers side gaiter - near steering column

Passenger side gaiter

To replace steering rack gaiters it really it best to remove the steering rack, but this does involve alot of work;

1. Jack up front of car
2. Take wheels off
3. Take the front downpipe of exhaust off
4. Take the gearbox selector out totally - as this is bolted onto the steering rack on mk1 golf cabs
5. Undo the steering rack rod ends
6. Unbolt the steering rack - 4 bolts

Then can work on steering rack as easy - remember when taking the end off to mark up the adjustable one side - or else your car will be toeing in or out and you will need to get the wheel alignment done afterwards..

Here is a picture of the new correct rubber installed on the rack and the wrong one from VW and GSF... the VW and GSF ones don't even go on properly.... You know when you have the correct gaiters as the drivers side one doesn't require any clips to hold it in place as it has a inside lip that holds it onto the rack when the steering is on full lock, the VW and GSF require clips and not properly go over the steering rack lip.

So here is my completed steering rack rebuilt - with new gaiters, clips, end rods and geased up - nice and new  :cool:

« Last Edit: 18 January 2011, 22:37 by SoundillusioN »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Re: Mk1 golf cab - Replacing steering rack gaiters
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2006, 21:47 »
Additional information

On each side of the end rods of the steering rack there are rubber stops on them - that holds the end of each gaiters in place - now I've looked into this and you can only buy this as part of the below unit (rubber on the right hand side), which is 45.00 Shocking... so if you need to replace this rubber you its going to cost you... so when replacing gaiters be careful not to rip or damage these small rubbers.

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 05:02 by Madone_si »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline MK1 Ali!!

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk1 golf cab - Replacing steering rack gaiters
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2009, 20:06 »
i think u r right about the gaitors being wrong as mine were a very tight fit when i brought my new rack and one of them has now split. but if u only want to replace a rack gaitor u wouldnt need to remove the entire steering rack, this is just unesassary work and very time consuming!!!

Steering Rack rebuild information for Mk1 golf cabriolet

So you might think if you ever have to replace any steering rack or steering column gaiters you will be able to get these from VW, GSF or Europarts. Well I can tell you from trying to get all the gaiters for a mk1 golf cabriolet on a 92 model, you can't. I ordered parts from VW direct and GSF and they provide the same spec rubber gaiters for the steering rack (2 gaiters) and one for the steering column - but none of them fitted my rack at all - even though VW's ETKA system shows I got the correct steering rack for my car, the gaiter information wasn't.

So I did a bit of research and it looks like ETKA DB from VW doesn't have the later VW GOLF MK1 CAB rack information correct and so here are two companies that can get you the correct gaiter for you.

http://www.typ-17.de - German site Click on: 'Technik, Aufbau und Verschleissteile Golf ,Caddy I, Jetta, Scirocco I und Polo' on RHS Nav | then 'Vorderachse + Lenkung' - scroll down and you will see items

I always email the company with details from there site on what I want - they always turn up really quickly from this company.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Cabriolet/Steering/24/1 - USA company..

Pictures of items are:

Steering rack (RHD only)
Drivers side gaiter - near steering column

Passenger side gaiter

To replace steering rack gaiters it really it best to remove the steering rack, but this does involve alot of work;

1. Jack up front of car
2. Take wheels off
3. Take the front downpipe of exhaust off
4. Take the gearbox selector out totally - as this is bolted onto the steering rack on mk1 golf cabs
5. Undo the steering rack rod ends
6. Unbolt the steering rack - 4 bolts

Then can work on steering rack as easy - remember when taking the end off to mark up the adjustable one side - or else your car will be toeing in or out and you will need to get the wheel alignment done afterwards..

Here is a picture of the new correct rubber installed on the rack and the wrong one from VW and GSF... the VW and GSF ones don't even go on properly.... You know when you have the correct gaiters as the drivers side one doesn't require any clips to hold it in place as it has a inside lip that holds it onto the rack when the steering is on f