Author Topic: DAB antenna retrofit  (Read 43096 times)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
Re: DAB antenna retrofit
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2013, 20:34 »
Apologies also, but I have a OEM head unit with DAB (replaced under warranty) but no DAB Ariel, how easy was the Kenwood window Ariel to fit? also looking at the diagram, the alternative fits within the boot, but not sure if you have to run a wire to the head unit from the boot?
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2014, 14:31 »
I bought one of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281240384275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Looks like I just replace the existing one, plug existing wire into the new one, as well as run another wire down to the head unit for the DAB connector.

Will report back how it works, hopefully it will be as good as a factory fit, as I did not want an unsightly aerial on the front windscreen, that said, the first job will be to find whereabouts the actual aerial is, it's under the boot lid somewhere I think!

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2014, 22:00 »
I bought one of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281240384275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Looks like I just replace the existing one, plug existing wire into the new one, as well as run another wire down to the head unit for the DAB connector.

Will report back how it works, hopefully it will be as good as a factory fit, as I did not want an unsightly aerial on the front windscreen, that said, the first job will be to find whereabouts the actual aerial is, it's under the boot lid somewhere I think!

Thanks, would appreciate your views. Looking at the wiring diagrams this is the factory way of installing DAB and have resisted so far to have the Ariel in the front windscreen.

It looks like there is already one of those for FM, so the other must be for DAB.

Keep us posted
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2014, 00:43 »
Will do mate, I should be able to do this next week sometime so will keep you posted :)

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2014, 15:14 »
Done and works lovely, check out my guide (albeit not the greatest guide!)

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=263921.0