Author Topic: mowlamb - "built not bought"  (Read 36706 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
mowlamb - "built not bought"
« on: 15 February 2010, 12:35 »
:)
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 16:34 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
  • MK4 GT TDI 130 - DERV POWER!!
Re: mowlamb - Built not Bought!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2010, 15:17 »
Cheers jv  :smiley:

Ever since I saw my first black MK 2 Golf GTI I have always wanted to own a Golf. I never really had the funds to get one when I learnt to drive so went with a Peugoet 106, which I killed by modifying it on the cheap. When it was time for that to go I looked at getting the 130 or 150 TDI however insurance was a stumbling block so I settled for the 1.9 TDI Audi A3. From then on I said VAG was the only car for me. Although I loved my A3 the young man who enjoyed modifying his 106 was dying to get out so when some muppet wrote it off for me it was time to finally get my Golf.

Went and looked at a few, one of which had 18" RS4 alloys and a 170bhp re-map, then eventually found the one for me. Had all your normal gadgets and gizmo's on a GT TDI so the deal was done and I finally had the car I had wanted 3 yrs before. Ideally the R32 would have been my dream Golf but with funds limited I had to compromise. One day I shall have one  :evil:. I would love to get a Black MK 2 Golf GTI one day as well and do that up good and proper but that'll have to wait until I have a bigger house and a bigger garden to match.

Now I'll list the things I would like to do with the Golf however at the moment these seem to change daily. I'll cross them out once they are done and next to them I'll add the page that has any pics of the mod.

R-Tech Remap
Votex front valance
Anni rear valance
Colour Coded Rear Sharan Badge
Black Front Grill
18" BBS CH alloys
TT Pedals
Net optic trim
R32 Steering Wheel
RCCR Rear Lights
Rear Aero Wiper
Lowering of some kind (not sure which path to take yet)
Colour Coded Engine Cover

Now it's picture time:

Few days after I got it

First job was to de-badge the rear

Then I tried a cheaper alternative to the R32 trim which only lasted about 2 weeks until I decided it was no good. Brushed Aluminium Look Vinyl.

The most important mod I've done so far

And my latest modifications are a black front grill, a 4Motion front valance, which is just there until I can get the funds for my R32 bumpers, and a shorter aerial.

« Last Edit: 30 January 2011, 08:22 by mowlamb »

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
Re: mowlamb - GT TDI 130
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2010, 15:30 »
Just a little update. I fitted the black grill a day before the front valance and have since thought it may look out of place with most of the front being silver now so I'm going to be re-spraying my original front grill in reflex silver and putting that back on to see how it looks. I've also decided to do the Front VW badge reflex silver to see how that looks. I'm going to be getting some cash this week so hopefully it'll be done before the end of the week along with the sharan badge.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2010, 16:38 »
Bought the paint and laquer today for the respray on my front grill and badge. Got 2 more coats of paint and 3 coats of laquer to go but here are a couple of pics of my progress.

Should have it finished 2moro and hopefully fitted 2moro evening if not then it'll be thursday.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2010, 16:50 »
Finished the front grill last night and fitted it today but the colour match was terrible and it just looked boring so the black grill is staying and I'm on the look out for black R32 alloys. There is some on uk-mkivs but I just gotta find the £350 to pay for them.  :sad:

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2010, 11:48 »
Just a quick update. I've got a set of 16" alloys which will be going on once I have some money to put tyres on them and today I fitted my Hella RCCR rear lights.

Soon I will be getting a rear Sharan badge, rear aero wiper and hopefully a rear anni valance. Also fitted my R32 accelerator pedal, just need the brake and clutch now.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 11 March 2010, 13:19 by mowlamb »

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2010, 11:20 »
Got some black wing mirror covers of ebay yesterday and fitted them today.

They go well with the rest of the black plastic on the wing mirror and base plate.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2010, 12:48 »
Quick update, I acquired an aero wiper for free thanks to Adam, it's on and looking sweet. I'm getting my new rear wiper motor and sharan badge 2moro so once the badge is colour coded and on I'll get some pics up.

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2010, 16:53 »
Had the week off work last week to prepare the house for going up for sale. I also used the time to get a few things done with the car. I decided to finally order my Sharan badge from TPS, this was due to needing a new wiper motor as the old one had packed in. Adam helped me get hold of an aero wiper and whilst waiting for coats of paint to dry in the bathroom I took my engine and battery covers of to paint them.

First up is the engine and battery covers:

I'm still not sure about these. I was always originally going to do them in reflex silver to match the car but on the day decided to try a metallic black. Once I put them back on the car and looked at the photo's I thought they looked like I hadn't even done them. So when I get some time I'm gunna re-do them in silver or gloss black I think.

Next up was the rear wiper and motor and my colour coded sharan badge:

Both of these cheap and easy mods really tidy up the rear end well. Next mods should be an R32 gearknob and new trim for the interior. I've also got some spax lowering springs lined up to drop the front and rear by 40mm but might wait till I can afford to replace the shocks at the same time before fitting them.

Also I've just realised I never updated this thread when I got my pressed plates from a GB on uk-mkivs. They are on and look awesome. Twinned with the ABT Wolfsburg surrounds they look sweet!

« Last Edit: 11 April 2010, 17:58 by mowlamb »

Offline mowlamb

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2010, 10:37 »
Well after spraying my engine and battery covers in metallic black I decided I wanted them colour coded to the car. I was originally going to go with reflex silver for them but changed my mind at the last minute. So yesterday I re-sprayed them in reflex silver and they are looking much better now. Also the rectangular bit with the VW and TDI badges on was scratched to hell so I decided to bit the rest of the metallic black I had to good use and sprayed this up with it.

The airbox is next. I will be smoothing it then colour coding it. And I know my engine bay is dirty!! :embarassed: Waiting for my order form waxamomo before giving the car a really good clean.