Author Topic: Dynaudio vs standard  (Read 11628 times)

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Dynaudio vs standard
« on: 07 April 2015, 08:22 »
With my new R on its way I have been looking at the differences in spec compared to my GTI, one of the options chosen with the R is dynaudio. I didn't tick this box with my GTI because I found the standard system on the mk6 golf to be really good. I did noticed the standard system on the mk7 is terrible and I hoping the dynaudio will be a decent improvement.

Anyone tried/had both? What do you think?
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Dynaudio vs standard
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2015, 08:46 »
Its been well discussed on this very forum.  :laugh:
My view is it is completely subjective.
Half will say its a waste of money the other half will say its great.
I never had it on my Mk6 but ticked it on the Mk7.
I'm no audiophile but it sounds good to me.

One of the things I look for is, is it still clear at volume and not distorting and for me it carries this out very well.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2015, 09:08 »
Whilst I've not listened to a non Dynaudio car, I can comment on mine, coming from my previous car which had £1200 of head unit/amps/speakers in (all Kenwood).

Even without listening to it, I specced the Dynaudio for the reason above and I haven't been disappointed. It all depends what you want out of your system in the car but it goes...

a. Plenty loud enough

and

b. Very good clarity

Some have moaned that the subwoofer isn't strong enough - it all depends what you expect, after all it's only a (roughly) 6" speaker in a small plastic enclosure. It's never going to shake the ground but it does fill in the lows rather well.

My only current criticism is that I am unsure as to whether the sub bass is filtered from the component speakers (to give them a much easier time) as I would do that to them anyway. I just need to do a bit of research.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline gitsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2015, 09:33 »
There's a What Hi-Fi review of the system here which gives it a good write up although I'm never convinced these things aren't just rehashed press releases. FWIW I had it on my Mk6 and have ordered it on my Mk7 as I really liked the sound from my Mk6.
MkVI GTI / 3dr / DSG / Carbon Grey / 18" Monzas / RCD510 / Dynaudio / Xenons / Lux Pack / Reversing Cam - STOLEN

Mk7 GTI PP / 3dr / DSG / Limestone Grey / 19" Santiagos / DCC / Dynaudio / Keyless / Reversing Cam - ORDERED

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2015, 10:17 »
Another thumbs up from me. Coming from a MK5 Golf (with 10 speakers as standard) and a Scirocco I always found the standard systems OKish, but there was never much bass. I don't mean bass that shakes your filling out, (I am getting on a bit you see), but I still like to listen to good music quite loud, and was always a bit disappointed in the standard speakers (the MK5 Golf was the worst).

The first thing I specced was Dynaudio and very pleased I am with it. Like Gnasher said, the sub isn't massively powerful and on disconnecting it, there was still plenty of bass meaning that I think the door bass drivers carry a lot of the load, but it does fill in a few of the lows, but no substitute for a dedicated bass speaker in a custom enclosure that will rattle the glass, if that's your thing (it's not mine)  :grin:
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2015, 10:48 »
I had Dynaudio on my mk 6 & 7 GTI's - it's excellent, especially for the money.  I don't have it on my R, and I did miss it for a while but then got used to the standard system (which is pretty decent I have to say).  However, my missus has Dynaudio on her GTD and having spent a while driving that car over the weekend, when I got back in mine today it sounds awfully tinny and underpowered.

So the moral of the story is: the standard system is decent, but the Dynaudio is great - just avoid cars with Dynaudio if you don't go for it and you'll be fine :laugh:

PS If it had been available on the R when I got mine I would have ticked the box  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2015, 10:57 »
Another thumbs up from me. Coming from a MK5 Golf (with 10 speakers as standard) and a Scirocco I always found the standard systems OKish, but there was never much bass. I don't mean bass that shakes your filling out, (I am getting on a bit you see), but I still like to listen to good music quite loud, and was always a bit disappointed in the standard speakers (the MK5 Golf was the worst).

The first thing I specced was Dynaudio and very pleased I am with it. Like Gnasher said, the sub isn't massively powerful and on disconnecting it, there was still plenty of bass meaning that I think the door bass drivers carry a lot of the load, but it does fill in a few of the lows, but no substitute for a dedicated bass speaker in a custom enclosure that will rattle the glass, if that's your thing (it's not mine)  :grin:

That was the first step in my future research.

I am actually quite tempted to add some sort of passive filtering to the mids and then see if I need to upgrade the sub (without going too mad). Although Mrs Gnasher will at that point kill me as I justified getting the Dynaudio on the fact it wouldn't need upgrading  :embarrassed:

It might get expensive though as I would want to attempt to keep the existing adjustable floor, meaning (on top of the actual sub/amp install I'd need to get a 2nd floor to cut down and get the moulding that it sits on too.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Golf-Ball

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2015, 11:59 »
My view is that Dynaudio is very good at high volumes. However, on a day to day basis I don't miss it one bit as I think the standard system is very good. Personally, I wouldn't therefore spec it, but if you listen to it and think it's worth it, nothing else really matters.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2015, 13:19 »
Getting the Dynaudio was a deal maker for me. I cancelled my first R order whilst it was in transit to the UK (also the Dealer was not o my liking) and re-ordered with Dynaudio from my local Dealership.

I have heard the standard system and compared it with the Dynaudio. To these ears there is no comparison especially if one listens to Classical Symphonic Music and Opera. It's also great with Pop Music.

The trouble with the standard system is that the tweeters are of the paper cone variety and break up very easily at higher listening levels. Plus they produce no detail. Also, the mid-bass units distort as they need to produce bass and they struggle to do this. But as a standard system, it is pretty good.

The Dynaudio Sound System is incredibly good value for money. In order to replicate this one would have to shell out thousands of pounds. The system comes with excellent silk dome tweeters and the mid range units have massive magnets and are very low distortion. Plus, one gets a dedicated sub-woofer which makes the overall sound much more musical.

ETTO.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2015, 13:21 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2015, 16:40 »
Having Dynaudio in my current Mk6 and having also had a Mk6 without it, it's the first thing I would spec.  I waited to order my Mk7 R until it thankfully it became available.  Plus the sound justs gets better and better over time.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11