Author Topic: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"  (Read 113269 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
H'mmm, not sure about those crutch strap mounts.  the issue is that it's just a strip of steel, rather than part of the whole floorpan.  They'll be fine, I suspect.

Also the tubing supplied by OMP says it's 'squared pipes' which suggests it might be a bit 'special' vs yer regular box.  Pictures of it don't really offer much detail because they're so pixelated!  Definitely can't see if they have sleeved the holes or not.

On the turret harness bar front, we discussed it with a guy who's installed a number of cages and talked through the other specs in the Blue Book.  We worked on the basis that 120cm sq is sufficient for the main hoops, so cut a similar area and positioned the harness bar in the middle of the piece of 3mm steel cut as close to square as possible.  Good luck bending in to shape.  :grin:  We used a fencing strainer, some box section and coach-bolts, coupled up with a big sledge hammer, then tacked in place and completed the forming in situ.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
I'm not too worried about the crutch straps with them being non load bearing its more the seat mount bars im concerned with.
i'm pretty sure they will be fine and i cant see them moving any times soon but its more the scrutineers point of view i'm worried about.

Yeah i saw on Daves thread  :grin: but luckily the mk4s wheel wells are pretty much flat  :grin:
I have a 140mm x 110mm plate that i placed against it and it sits flush all the way around so no need for any bending  :grin:

Ok mini update

I spent the rest of the day removing the floor pugs i had siliconed in as the silicone was rubbish and then redid them with tiger seal and then used the tiger seal on the holes for the gear linkage cables, the rivets i had drilled out and then on the out side under the car where all the welds were to keep it weatherproof and then went around with some underseal  :smiley:

I then fixed the fuel line that i had melted through and then wandered around for a while trying to think of something to do as im now waiting on parts for the harness bar and my new short shifter arriving

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Where its at  :cool:

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Ok little list of a few things for over the last few days.

Spent a day on Ryan's car fitting his 3" system and new rear springs.
Also welded the seatbelt eyebolt plates in place etc so all the seatbelt mounting points are done.

Also this arrived

So I got around to fitting it and getting the frame in place  :cool:

I also welded up the shifter frame braces.
I then tiger sealed all the welding under the car in the transmission tunnel to keep everything weather protected.

This lot arrive today  :grin:

DM forged rods and install package from ina engineering  :cool:
And also new tie rod ends and top mount bearings

The spend a lot of today masking up the inside of the car ready to get happy with the black paint  :grin:
Just going to start with the front end as I need to get the harness bar installed in the rear which should be arriving on Wednesday but trying not to waste days while waiting for things.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
How much were your rods mate?
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
BEHAVE!
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
BEHAVE!

:laugh:

How much were your rods mate?

The full kit including the rods being rifle drilled came to about £600  :cool:

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Little update for today.

Down the morning cleaning the inside of the car hovering and then rubbing with thinners ten Hoovering he bit I had out haha
Then went round with the liner and touch up any bit that's needed doing.

I then took the rear coilovers off of the daily and Pu standard suspension back on as I want the weitecs for the project.

While doing this I got a nice little delivery  :cool:

Front and rear wheel bearings

I then spent a good while doing some painting.
Did the whole front end including the footwells and roof and also did the side panals and part of the roof at the rear.
I stopped there as I still need to weld in the harness bar that shall hopefully be arriving soon!
I also removed and painted the set mounts while I was at it

A few pictures  :cool:

I also got around I fitting the front wheel bearing that had arrived and painted up the hub  :smiley:

I also had a massive tidy up in the garage an around the car as it was a little bit of a mess....  :whistle:

Going to be busy at work now for a few days but hopefully I will e able to squeeze in gettin the harness bar started when it arrives  :cool:

But progress is good at the minute all I need to do it do the harness bar then put the tank, rear beam and exhaust on and then change all the front suspension over including subframe, hubs, wishbones, steering rack and coilovers and ten it's ready to go on the road with the standard engine.
And then the engine rebuild will start  :grin:

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
BEHAVE!

:grin:

Always good to know these things :laugh: :whistle:

Good stuff Ste, keep it coming :afro:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19