Author Topic: Those with a remap, who did you go with? Who do you think are best?  (Read 14750 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Got called out on golfmk7.com for saying that Revo were one of the top tuners here in the UK; the list given to me of those who are better were as follows (in no particular order):

Ecotune
Jbs
MRC
R-tech
APR
Unicorn

Of these, I've heard of APR, Unicorn and MRC. I wouldn't say that any of those apart from possibly APR could be argued to be bigger/better than Revo. For example, Unicorn only have one outlet, so I don't think they can be classed as one of the best. I'm sure the tunes are good, but best surely has to have all factors considered.

I was also told that I should "never speak about tuning again" as I said I hadn't heard of R-tech, let alone anyone who has a GTI tuned by them. Obviously I can look them up and now say I have heard of them but I'd like to know if anyone was tuned by them?

I understand this is all a matter of opinion to an extent, it just got me curious.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
I think REVO are very good, if I tune my R I'll be using REVO
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
I've used Revo before on my Cupra and had no issues. I would always consider them one of the top tuners as well. I currently have a DTUK box, but were I to go for a map I would use either Revo or Racingline. I think that so long as you are happy with the results that's all that matters.
Whoever made the comment about you not knowing about tuning as you hadn't heard of R-Tech must be child. Who cares if there is a brand you have or haven't heard of? There are plenty of companies starting up all the time; eg Mountune's new line of support for VAG.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
You can overthink tuning to the N’th degree, same as anything else I guess.

I’ve had around a dozen remaps and tuning boxes from various tuners over a very long period of time.
The remaps on the early TDI and the first LPT turbo VAG petrol engines (1.8t) were quite simple affairs and the mappers have had to keep abreast with all the emissions hardware and software as each new series of engines get released.

I’ve no idea what the thread was on golfmk7.com as I’ve not been over there for years having been focussed elsewhere but Internet forums have always been full of self professed experts who don’t get out much.

I’m far from an expert, just an end user with a bit of an understanding built up over the years.

Tuners vary in size, resources and time. REVO have grown to be a biggie and we’re originally an offshoot of APR’s UK arm, if I remember correctly one of the main guys was Mark Yates who previously headed MYTech who were a well respected tuner of earlier generation GTI’s and VR6’s. I might be wrong, it was a long time ago now.
God I feel old.

REVO & APR have much bigger global resources so can take their time developing maps all over the world using dozens of vehicles in Beta testing. They have an extensive network and decent(ish) customer care.
So are they best?

Some of the other much smaller tuners might offer a more personal experience or be cheaper, they’ll have intimate knowledge of their product in most cases. I’ve been out in a Unicorn tuned R and it drove beautifully, custom tuned for a factory like delivery but with the wick turned up a bit.
Is that the best? How many development miles went into that tune on the open roads rather than some hours on a rolling road?

We could go on forever. The best is the best for you. Good local support will be more important to some, pops, bangs, whooshes and being the fastest car up to 130mph on the local bypass using launch control will be more important to others, and everything in between.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline sjw

• I live here
You can overthink tuning to the N’th degree, same as anything else I guess.

I’ve had around a dozen remaps and tuning boxes from various tuners over a very long period of time.
The remaps on the early TDI and the first LPT turbo VAG petrol engines (1.8t) were quite simple affairs and the mappers have had to keep abreast with all the emissions hardware and software as each new series of engines get released.

I’ve no idea what the thread was on golfmk7.com as I’ve not been over there for years having been focussed elsewhere but Internet forums have always been full of self professed experts who don’t get out much.

I’m far from an expert, just an end user with a bit of an understanding built up over the years.

Tuners vary in size, resources and time. REVO have grown to be a biggie and we’re originally an offshoot of APR’s UK arm, if I remember correctly one of the main guys was Mark Yates who previously headed MYTech who were a well respected tuner of earlier generation GTI’s and VR6’s. I might be wrong, it was a long time ago now.
God I feel old.

REVO & APR have much bigger global resources so can take their time developing maps all over the world using dozens of vehicles in Beta testing. They have an extensive network and decent(ish) customer care.
So are they best?

Some of the other much smaller tuners might offer a more personal experience or be cheaper, they’ll have intimate knowledge of their product in most cases. I’ve been out in a Unicorn tuned R and it drove beautifully, custom tuned for a factory like delivery but with the wick turned up a bit.
Is that the best? How many development miles went into that tune on the open roads rather than some hours on a rolling road?

We could go on forever. The best is the best for you. Good local support will be more important to some, pops, bangs, whooshes and being the fastest car up to 130mph on the local bypass using launch control will be more important to others, and everything in between.

Yeah I understand it's all subjective. What riled me was the fact that a bunch of people form the US were trying to tell me that I was wrong about the current state of affairs in the UK. I don't know  :rolleyes:

Whoever made the comment about you not knowing about tuning as you hadn't heard of R-Tech must be child. Who cares if there is a brand you have or haven't heard of?

That's what I thought. It's one of the worst forums I've seen for people thinking their opinions somehow carry more weight than others'

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
That’s one of the reasons I’ve historically avoided that forum.
I used to find it ok for finding out bits of information and trying to weed out the misinformation from our D-Day cousins as the Americans still have that Hot Rod mentality of buy it, dismantle it, uprate everything then argue about it.
The whole forum could be like a Wild West saloon!

Don’t get me wrong, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on there but it was always a bit too volatile for my liking. Mind you it’s been like that on here at times over the years and no doubt with the release of the mk8 there will be plenty sparking off, the mk7 has seen everyone mellow and mature just like the mk7 itself!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
I went with REVO, I visited my local REVO dealer again yesterday for an oil and filter which I do every 6 months. 16K miles later, all good...  :cool:

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline sjw

• I live here
I went with REVO, I visited my local REVO dealer again yesterday for an oil and filter which I do every 6 months. 16K miles later, all good...  :cool:

Looks awesome!

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
Looks awesome!

Why thank you, I like to keep it clean...  :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline b19drg

• Not said much yet
I’m thinking Revo for my Clubsport , however they say clutch needs to be updated before I do as I’m manual