Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362479 times)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
I had had enough of the Polo VW gave me, nearly 4 weeks in car that felt very disconnected from the road and a soft suspension.
Now that's the way to describe the polo. I wonder if the GTI polo is the same?
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline pryda

• Here all the time
well I had a chat with my local VW dealer this afternoon (Corkills Wigan). enquired about parts (FYI Snoopy - the part number you post on page 1 is wrong 08K 109 467 K... should be 06K 109 467 K)

was told this isn't a wide spread problem, otherwise VW would have recalled affected cars. asked about prices for parts and was advised not to change just the tensioner as this could add stress to the chain that may not have been there originally.

no issues with my car as yet with 62k on the clock, but was told that my dealership would charge 100% parts and labour should the tensioner fail as the car is now out of warranty.

really unsure what to do next. I may sit tight and see how the car runs. tempted to cover my back with an additional VW warranty.

any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 06 January 2014, 19:52 by pryda »

2009 MK6 GTi, Candy White 3dr, Stage 1 Revo, Milltek cat back, H&R SuperSport, RNS510, OSRAM kit

Unphased - NorthWest German/VAG/Retro Meet
Every 3rd Thursday Of The Month
http://www.un-phased.co.uk/

Offline ttdan

• Not said much yet
Glad i have a timing belt!  :whistle:

Poor show by VW if they let owners foot the bill.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
well I had a chat with my local VW dealer this afternoon (Corkills Wigan). enquired about parts (FYI Snoopy - the part number you post on page 1 is wrong 08K 109 467 K... should be 06K 109 467 K)

was told this isn't a wide spread problem, otherwise VW would have recalled affected cars. asked about prices for parts and was advised not to change just the tensioner as this could add stress to the chain that may not have been there originally.

no issues with my car as yet with 62k on the clock, but was told that my dealership would charge 100% parts and labour should the tensioner fail as the car is now out of warranty.

really unsure what to do next. I may sit tight and see how the car runs. tempted to cover my back with an additional VW warranty.

any thoughts?

Seriously Dave, thats a shocking reply from the dealership, no parts or labour !!!

For the sake of £290 i would get it changed as im right in thinking you have 59 / 10 plate?

Your dealer sounds about as bright as the first dealers i went to (Bradford VW). It might not be a pandemic  right now but most early GTI are only just hitting 55+k miles (rough idea of how many times your car has been started from cold), so im guessing over the next year we will be seeing 1 a week.
As we are currently seeing 1 a month right now and thats just people on the forum, imagine all the non-forum people this is happening to and getting ripped off.

The only reason there is no recall is because it doesn't affect the safety of you or your car. This is happening on all 2.0L TSI engine around the world.

And also people have documented no rattle before it fails, so i wont rely on that as a guide.

you dont want to be the guy that nearly got it changed and then bang !!!

Get it changed !!!
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline nige smith

• Not said much yet
Get on to VWCS! Log your concerns & you'll have a case number to fall back on! This issue has totally ruined the enjoyment of owning my car, so I may well jump ship back to Audi.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
VW own audi and the 2.0l TSI is the exact same....
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline pryda

• Here all the time

any thoughts?

Seriously Dave, thats a shocking reply from the dealership, no parts or labour !!!

For the sake of £290 i would get it changed as im right in thinking you have 59 / 10 plate?

Your dealer sounds about as bright as the first dealers i went to (Bradford VW). It might not be a pandemic  right now but most early GTI are only just hitting 55+k miles (rough idea of how many times your car has been started from cold), so im guessing over the next year we will be seeing 1 a week.
As we are currently seeing 1 a month right now and thats just people on the forum, imagine all the non-forum people this is happening to and getting ripped off.

The only reason there is no recall is because it doesn't affect the safety of you or your car. This is happening on all 2.0L TSI engine around the world.

And also people have documented no rattle before it fails, so i wont rely on that as a guide.

Get it changed !!!

I'm really torn mate. its money that could be spent elsewhere and I don't want to jump the gun and cause any stress to the chain when I might not be affected to start off with, especially considering I have 62k on the clock which is much higher than the cars already affected.

2009 MK6 GTi, Candy White 3dr, Stage 1 Revo, Milltek cat back, H&R SuperSport, RNS510, OSRAM kit

Unphased - NorthWest German/VAG/Retro Meet
Every 3rd Thursday Of The Month
http://www.un-phased.co.uk/

Offline nige smith

• Not said much yet
VW own audi and the 2.0l TSI is the exact same....

1.8 or 2.0TFSi A3 Black edition. Had an A3 2.0 TFSi Quattro for 5 years before the golf, never missed a beat, great engine! Should have listened to the Wife!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
I was just doing another check on ETKA and noticed something else.

Cars built up to 30/4/2010

Original tensioner 06H 109 467 N,  New tensioner revision after 01/05/12 06K 109 467 K

Cars built after 30/4/2010

Original tensioner 06H 109 467 T, New tensioner revision after 01/04/12 06H 109 467 AB and then revised again on 01/05/12 to the same part number 06K 109 467 K as above

Also listed along side this with the same tensioner revisions is the CDAA engine, 1.8, 160bhp petrol used in the Skoda Yeti and the Seat Leon MK2 (1P)

Pryda
Corrected, sorry about that, i could say it was a test to see if anyone noticed what I wrote was not what was wrote on the parts box :wink:

"Extra stress  to the chain that was not there originally" pmsl  ROFPMSL :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: 06 January 2014, 21:19 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular

any thoughts?

Get it changed !!!

+1 if you like your car and wish to keep for a while, I would get it changed better safe than sorry, as you might not get much warning.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.