Author Topic: Water in passenger footwell?  (Read 37508 times)

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Water in passenger footwell?
« on: 11 August 2008, 11:49 »

If you have found water in your passengers side footwell then chances are water is getting into your pollen filter. The water comes from behind the dash on the drivers side of the passenger footwell. Or if you have water in your rear passenger footwell scroll to near the bottom.

I would act quickly if this is the case because you don't want your central convenience module getting wet as it can lead to a whole host of problems that I've now got.

Symptons
Water in the passenger footwell, car steaming up easily.

So what's the problem?

Water is entering your car from the pollen filter which is situated near the windscreen on the passenger side.

How can it be fixed?

Firstly it's an easy fix and shouldn't cost more than £20. There is no need to remove the wipers.

Open the bonnet and to the right of the back scuttle pannel there are 4 screws ina row. Undo these a remove the tray covering the pollen filter. Check to see what kind of condition it is in. Then remove the pollen filter by pushing the two clips in on the plastic it sits in and slide forward. You can then see or feel if the pollen filter is wet. If it is replace tray and pollen filter with parts from VW.

Broken cover:

Where the water goes after going through the pollen filter:

and the wet pollen filter

I'll update with part numbers but the tray is £5 and the pollen filter is £15.

When replaced refit by reversing the above instructions and let the car run for a while with heating on. So take it for a spin with the heating on.

Is your REAR passenger side carpet wet

If this is the case, open the FRONT doors and by the hinges there is a black nipple. This becomes blocked and therefore renders them useless and they end up storing water. By giving them a squeeze you should get all the cr** out and you should have cured the leak. Do to both sides and then dry out the footwells... :sick:

This is what happened to me;
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=88116.0

If you have any problems PM me and i should be able to help!

If this hasn't solved your problem and you have a 5 door car or a sunroof try bleeding the nipples near the door hinge. Haven't got any pictures as mine is 3 door.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2008, 17:55 by T_J_G »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Water in passenger footwell?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2008, 12:12 »
Good work Tim :afro:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2008, 12:14 »
Good work Tim :afro:

No problems, wanted to give a little bit back after the help i've had off here!

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2008, 12:18 »
If this hasn't solved your problem and you have a 5 door car or a sunroof try bleeding the nipples near the door hinge.

I think my pollen filter must be damp or in the process of getting wet because the car steams up quite a lot after rain. I will have a look tonight. If it isn't the pollen filter, I will have a fiddle with the nipples :rolleyes: