Author Topic: Red Master Warning Light  (Read 1658 times)

Offline marcus1090

• Just got here
Red Master Warning Light
« on: 31 January 2020, 17:03 »
Hi,

First post - so sorry if this has been posted and there is an answer to it before...

I picked up a GTI MK7.5 before Christmas - but had the red exclamation mark on the dashboard (with no entries in the car status screen), was told the battery was a bit low and should clear after driving a bit...

Its currently in the dealership being looked at further (and having some other warranty jobs done). When they plugged the computer in, there was no error messages reported on the computer...

It was escalated to VW tech for further advice - but wonder if anyone has come across this before and any idea what it could be? (Opening Pandora's Box...)

The car has been perfectly fine to drive and always started on the button!

Thanks
MK7.5 Golf GTI - Black Leather

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Red Master Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2020, 11:55 »
Welcome Marcus!

That’s a bit of an odd one.

I had a battery die on a GTI some years ago and it had a red warning come up on the MFD but this was pre AID days (pre digital dials) so it’s a possibility.
The only other time I’ve seen a red engine warning was on a car that was attempted to start the engine but a sensor plug hadn’t been connected but this also threw up a load of warning lamps in the dash display and recorded faults in the log.

Other red warnings can be if the ACC radar view or a windscreen camera are temporarily impaired.
What are the warranty repairs being done, are they electrical?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline marcus1090

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2020, 10:22 »
Thanks for the welcome :)

The other warranty item was for the sat nav (line of dead pixels so needed a screen change).

It turns out it was a fault with the digital dash - replaced the cluster and my little friend on the dashboard had disappeared! Luckily all under warranty, and not a fault that the dealer had seen before!

Have many people suffered failures of the dash pods in the past? (They ain't cheap to replace)!

Cheers

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2020, 16:33 »
I’ve seen the odd one or two mention of dash pod failures.
I had a front facing camera fault on my car and apparently that wasn’t a cheap fix either!

Glad you’re all sorted though and thanks for the update :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline marcus1090

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2020, 10:21 »
Further question around this one...

I've noticed now, when I switch the ignition on - that said warning light doesn't not appear at all on the dashboard (the brief moment it lights up like a christmas tree)

Compared it to my friends 18 plate GTI and hers does appear.

So my question is, is this normal? Or have they removed the bulb and claimed a replacement? (I really hope its not the latter...).

Its going into another dealers to have a squeaky drivers seat looked at (while under warranty) and will mention it then, but thought I would throw it out to there for some more insight, beforehand.

Thanks