Author Topic: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.  (Read 11953 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Re: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2018, 12:21 »
I just think cars are getting more expensive now maybe because of all the tech loaded in them.
I'm still deciding how much I want/can afford to spend and choosing between a high spec Astra, Golf GTI or R and Audi A3 or S3.
The Astra comes in at about £24K. The A3/S3 around £32-40K with the options I want. The Golf sits in the middle around £28-35K depending on options and whether I go for GTI or R.
The makes the pricing about right compared to other cars I would say.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2018, 13:01 »
The prices have gone up quite a bit in the last 10 years or so. But then again so has the tech and the levels of standard equipment. To be fair, all cars have gone up about the same rate, it's not just VW's. It's not as if VW's have suddenly become much more than any other brand, there's always been a slight premium over the everyman Ford's, Vauxhall's and the like.

Having said that though, it seems easier to me to spot where they've cut corners/costs than it used to be. Sure there are lots of nice soft to the touch materials in all the obvious places, but much cheapness in other places, such as the rear door cappings for example. I also don't think the reliability or mechanical build quality is any better than other cars for similar money.

I had lots of niggles with my Mk5 outside warranty, so if I decided to keep a VW beyond 3 years i'd definitely be going for an extended warranty. Nice tight panel gaps though, and a good solid 'thunk' when closing the doors.
7.5 GTD

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2018, 13:27 »
All cars are getting very expensive, and they're less well built. They're loaded with tech now, but tech is cheap. The active display is cheaper than the dials and mini MFD they replace.

Years ago VW used to sell on the basis of how reliable they are. 8 years ago they sold used cars on the slogan "have you ever noticed how a used Volkswagen never looks its age?".

As just said - the underpinnings, rear discs and disc shrouds are covered in surface rust. Underpinnings I can forgive - you don't see them unless you look for them. Everything behind the wheels cosmetically rusting up looks awful.

In 9 years the Golf GTI has increased in RRP by almost 50%. Disciunts are a little higher niw, but back in the reign of the MK5 I got 2 Golfs through UKNewCars and had a 12% discount with each of them. So in the same time we've seen that kind of price rise, most people's wages have hardly risen at all in a time of historically low inflation.

VW have had as many as 3 price rises in one year over that period. The trouble is, it's not a VW thing, it's all of the marques. The biggest rises happened after the great scrappage scheme. Some got £2k for their bangers, but nearly everyone put their RRPs up by £2k in response.

I got a new Polo GTI+ recently to replace the wife's A1, and I like it that much, the wife commutes in my R and I have the Polo. I'm giving serious thought to trading the R in for another. Pretty much as well equipped as a performance Golf, is as solid as the Golf (only 34kg lighter than a standard Golf GTI) and can be had for £20k from a broker - it makes the Golf look setiously expensive. The 9nly things I really miss are the lack of "never need to touch it" electronic handbrake and 4WD traction that the R has. The door cards are a little cheaper (no rubberised top rail or covering behind the arm rest on the door). Otherwise it feels much nimbler than the R and a little slower at full acceleration as you'd expect, but not by as much as you'd expect. The new infotainment and digital dash v2 make the pre-facelift Golf instrumentation feel historic. The brake disc hubs aren't rusting up either.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2018, 13:53 »
Of course it's a run of the mill car. It's just a fast Golf.
And just to reply to your ego comment CHB, I hate Audis with a passion. But at least you can probably justify £35k on one!!
Monkeyhanger, I would agree with you, especially the wage rise point. I',m sure I'm not the only one on here whose wage has barely budged in the last 6,7,8 years.
The Polo GTi got a very good write up in this month's VW Driver. Now admittedly, by definition, they don't criticize the cars too much, but it looked a nice car and for much more reasonable money.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 13:59 by andykram »

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2018, 15:04 »
The Polo GTi got a very good write up in this month's VW Driver. Now admittedly, by definition, they don't criticize the cars too much, but it looked a nice car and for much more reasonable money.

It also got an excellent review on 5th Gear in the week up against the Mini Cooper S. I like the look of them too but for me boot size is important and I struggle with the Golf at times.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2018, 15:51 »
The Golf has more class/cache than most in its price range and continuously comes top in comparison reviews and this makes it a cut above 'run of the mill makes'.
I also dislike Audi's snobbery.
Based on my figures of previous generations list prices. I haven't a clue what you base this post on, the kit or equivalent on today's Golf GTI/R  would have only been found on £50/60k of 10 years ago.
I think it's the psychology of the £30K barrier. It's all relative except as been mentioned wage increases ( and bloody low savings rates!!).
I waited until 70 before I splashed this kind of money on a car btw. Priorities. Think many of the younger guys have been spoilt by these 'cheap' pcp plans. Keep the R you know it makes sense. :wink:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2018, 16:09 »
I too quite like the look of the new Polo, although the current lack of a manual gearbox is off putting. It's also probably a little bit too small for me. In which case i'm going to bang my Skoda drum again, as i'd be quite interested to see how the production version of this develops, as it will be on the same platform as the Polo, but a little larger;-

https://youtu.be/xL-dliPhJ8s

7.5 GTD

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2018, 18:15 »
From 1998 for all your inflation enthusiasts.

An "R" cost £20,000 versus £32,000-ish today

If you spent an arm and leg over those 20 years to keep it nice, then expect to get about £4000 back

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808199651519

« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 18:19 by david25 »
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2018, 18:19 »
Double post
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2018, 20:12 »
If you adjust for inflation, £20k in 1998 is roughly equivalent to around £34.5k today.

When you consider the advances in performance and technology of the cars, it almost makes the new cars look good value? :)