Author Topic: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.  (Read 11864 times)

Offline andykram

• I live here
How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.
« on: 12 October 2018, 19:51 »
The wife's R is three years old in January so I've been considering options. We borrowed out of a very low rate mortgage to pay the PCP off 18 months ago so now need to decide whether to start again with a new car (by which we pay the mortgage back) or keep the car and pay the mortgage back as if we were paying a car loan off.
As it's been 3 years nearly I've not really been keeping an eye on VW's prices. She has a 5 door manual but I think we'd go for a 5 door DSG this time. Off I go to Drive the Deal's website to find out such a car with metallic paint is £35485!!!! Chuff me, that's a lot. Admittedly, their discounted price is £29 595 but even so, it's a hell of a lot for a Golf. And judging by the waiting time thread elsewhere on here we'd have to wait months for it for the privilege. All this is assuming you can still order them with the Mk8 being imminent.
Much as we love the R that we have (it's been faultlessly reliable although the Lapis blue paint quality isn't great) I can't see me stumping up £30k for a Golf anymore. I know the R is a bit of a Q car but it looks a bit too bland for me, especially at that price and, as I've said before, it's got to the point where the VW badge simply isn't worth that sort of money anymore.
The wife won't have anything other than an R (I suggested a nearly new 335 Beemer but she was having none of that) so I reckon we will just pay this one off and keep it a good while. The point is, however, I can't see us buying another VW which is a shame. But ultimately, no Golf is worth that sort of money in my book. Can you imagine how much a 5 door Mk8 DSG R will be? I know everyone buys these on PCPs but they'll end up being hundreds of pounds a month more than what we paid last time (and that was with a low balloon payment so we paid a reasonable amount on our PCP).

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2018, 20:42 »
Why is it not worth that money? Quite a few people say the same thing but when you look at other cars you don't get the same standard spec as you do on an R or GTi.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2018, 20:54 »
It's nothing to do with spec. It's just a Golf. £35k for a GOLF! Just let that sink in.
To be fair, it probably says a lot about how expensive cars have become. You can pay well over £30k for a Seat Leon for example. That's madness too - don't care how fast it is!!

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2018, 22:11 »
Have you ever read a bad review on an R or a GTI? About the worst thing said is that they are not full on hot hatches. When u compare to what else u can get for £30k they are not bad. At least your wife not being swayed by a premium badge.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2018, 22:27 »
You can pay upward of 20k for a Fiesta...

Offline silver38

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2018, 23:48 »
Have you ever looked below your Golf, around the suspension arms, and particularly at the rear, and around the splash gaurds for the rear disc it wil be crumbling away with rust. This happens after 3 to 4 years old, never driven on salty roads. This is definately my last VW. Dnon't think this is £30k+ material.
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2018, 09:41 »
The paint isn't £30k plus either. it's the poorest quality I've ever seen in all the VWs we've had. Beautiful colour but poor quality.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2018, 11:07 »
Most paints are the same these days as they are water based.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2018, 11:07 »
As a majority of cars purchased these days are acquired on PCP's or lease, this gives the manufacturers a relatively  free reign on pricing. As you say £35500 + for a Golf is ridicules, but as long as the cars monthly cost falls into a budget, that's all most customers are interested in. Because I suspect that most people on these deals are not interested in the final balloon payment. Only monthly costs.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2018, 12:10 »
Blimey :whistle: You are kidding surely. The days of a 'Golf' being merely a run of the mill car are long gone. Maybe your ego? is better suited to an Audi?
I paid a discounted £31.5k for my R spec below and thought it a relative bargain at the time, I now regard it as a snip. Seriously I love this car in every way and where can you get the same performance, ride handling, AWD, equipment for that money.
Then I prefer subtle than say the gross Honda Type R.

To add, how much was the otr price of the MKV R32 'Golf' in 2008? I'm guessing similar spec to my car would have been pushing £30K. Seem to recall base list of around £26/7K.
The base 3 door GTI was £19995 in 2005!
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:31 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.