Author Topic: Back on track (literally)  (Read 1084 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Back on track (literally)
« on: 11 July 2018, 21:40 »
Yesterday Sturup Raceway (small track at the south of Sweden) was open for public and I decided it was a good time to see what the PS4S were capable of. Lots of cars there for a Tuesday afternoon, M3 E92, 997 911 4S, Caterhams, Lotuses, heavily modded Hondas (of-course  :tongue:) and even an Ariel Atom, that was crazy...

This time I went with the intention of focusing on my lines as much as possible, last time my best time was a 1:16:5 and watching the videos after that event I realized I was scrubbing too much speed on the slow corners, our cars need a clean, smooth approach and you need to be ready to go slow in order to go fast. Sure we all know it but you can easily get carried away when in the action...

My Clubsport is stock other than the ECU and TCU maps so i was again impressed at how much grip it can generate on medium to fast corners with the stock setup compared to certain other cars that should be more track focused. That been said it could still benefit from upgraded rarb and springs, it will cope fine with fast driving but it's not exactly built for chasing lap times on a track and that was also clear when driving at the very limit.

End of the day I dropped a whole 2.1 seconds off which is a lot on such a short track, surely some part of that was down to the Michelins but I think my lines looked much better this time so pretty satisfied. Had some fun with a 4C and that Carrera 4S also :tongue: 

Video: https://youtu.be/D5ziyTOjdHk
« Last Edit: 11 July 2018, 22:11 by scanesare »

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Re: Back on track (literally)
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2018, 09:41 »
Interesting video, not something I would wish to do unless the track was empty. :wink:

Thanks for posting.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Back on track (literally)
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2018, 10:18 »
Clearly you can not eliminate the risk completely but I still feel safer there than say in a random public road, at least all drivers are on their toes. And you also build confidence the more you visit, you can't drive 10/10 from your first time. For me it was the 4th time (2nd in this car) in that particular track so I already knew where the limits of the track and the car where more or less.

That aside, driving your car hard on the track provides an experience that doesn't even come close to anything you've driven on public roads. Had a friend with a MK7 R joining me, his first time ever on a track. He frequently takes the car for a blast to some nice b roads around here. At the end of the day he was simply staggered. He said: "I never imagined that there was so much more performance the car could give me, a whole different level that I just didn't know existed" which sums it up pretty well.