Author Topic: compound/polish/wax question  (Read 1732 times)

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
compound/polish/wax question
« on: 31 May 2018, 21:20 »
just a couple questions re: the compound/polish/wax process

One, for a brand new car, do i need to use compound, or is that for older paints with swirls etc.? 

Two, I am using Meguiar's Wash and Wax product on a weekly basis (I hope frequent washes won't mess my car's paint in the longterm).  How often should I be properly polishing/waxing the car?

thanks
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
Re: compound/polish/wax question
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2018, 22:27 »
The requirement for compounding depends solely on the state of the paint as it is currently. You'd hope it isn't required on a new car but that doesn't mean it won't be.

The best thing to do is work with the lowest level of cut first (in this case your polish with a polishing pad) and then if that doesn't remove all defects/swirls, then move up the level of cut, either by a pad change or move to a compound/polish with higher cut. Always start with the lowest as you want to avoid taking off as much as paint as possible. You're only removing microns but the car has a finite amount of paint so you are working with a limited resource.

I would get a high powered torch to properly identify swirls and marks, then use that torch frequently throughout polishing to check that it is working as desired.

Washing your car weekly is pretty frequent, and any time you wash the car you risk damaging the paintwork. In reality, you are likely to add some light scratches at some point, these would be similar to swirling but if you wash correctly in one direction they won't appear as swirls and be less visible overall.

With regards to the frequency of polishing, that is up to you and how perfect you want your cars paintwork to be. Personally I don't have the time for more than once a year but I know some people go for twice a year. At the end of the day, polishing is removing paint, so I'd only do it when it's needed and avoid doing it if you can.

Waxing/sealing or even coating; do it as frequently as required to maintain the protection. With a wax it is typically more frequent than sealant and then coatings are meant to last up to 2 years supposedly.

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
Re: compound/polish/wax question
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2018, 23:00 »
Thanks AmbushReality, much appreciated.  Really interesting to see different views on the frequency etc.  Wouldn't want to harm the paint obviously but I do like it to be shiny.  I guess my main worry regards waxing - as I live in Cyprus where there's sun 300 days a year and over 30 degrees for about a third of those days, i'd like to protect the paint as much as possible.
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r