Author Topic: Wireless Charging Saga  (Read 7105 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Wireless Charging Saga
« on: 20 April 2018, 11:25 »
Delivery stop for vehicles fitted with wireless smartphone charger, advanced telephone connection and business mobile phone interface

Retailers are to stop delivery of all new vehicles containing certain optional phone preparations to customers with immediate effect.

The affected PR codes are:

9IJ
9IH
9IP
9IQ
9ZC
9ZE
PTT
PTC
PTO

These phone preparation options normally include a component which amplifies mobile phone signals. Regrettably, due to technical and regulatory constraints, we are unable to provide this function at this moment in time.

All other functions of these options, such as wireless charging and dual phone Bluetooth connection will continue to be fully operational without any restrictions.

Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Wireless Charging Saga
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2018, 11:52 »
So the advanced phone prep is the problem?

And if you've ordered one, even if its at the dealership, you aren't getting it... if the car has arrived, you'll be getting another car ordered minus it?

Sounds a bit harsh!

Sounds like its only something you'd do if the unit was dangerous...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2018, 13:34 »
Well that's interesting as my new GTI which is allegedly arriving at the dealership on Monday next week was ordered with Wireless Charging option (PR Code 9IP), which seems to be one of them affected.

Any idea what this will mean for my car ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2018, 14:58 »
Well that's interesting as my new GTI which is allegedly arriving at the dealership on Monday next week was ordered with Wireless Charging option (PR Code 9IP), which seems to be one of them affected.

Any idea what this will mean for my car ?

Unfortunately it means you will not be able to take delivery until the technical solution is fixed.
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2018, 15:21 »
That sounds a bit alarming... what about people who already have the system fitted? Recall?

Or is it that it breaks some EU law that prohibits VW from selling it from a certain date?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2018, 15:54 »
I guess it's something to do with radiation due to the signal booster breaking some European regulations or something ?

Bit of a bugger though as it now doesn't look as though I'll be collecting the car next weekend as I thought. I'm glad that evo1986 posted this here now though, as I was due to sign for the car on Wednesday next week and pay the balance of my deposit Wouldn't like to have paid many thousand of pounds deposit for a car that I won't be able to actually purchase.

Hmm...wonder what my options are now if legally they can't sell me the car that's been built for me ? Never been in this position before.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2018, 15:56 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2018, 16:14 »
My guess... a violation of OFCOM's Wireless Telegraphy (Mobile Repeater) (Exemption) Regulations 2018

That's effective April 2018, and while I can't find the final technical standard (IR2102), I did find a draft:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/107253/DRAFT-IR_mobile-repeaters.pdf

I'd say someone has been informed that VW are breaking this UK law...

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2018, 16:36 »
It’s also being discussed over on a Seat forum as it affects Seat (and Skoda) too - presumably also Audi?

Seems the Seat fix will take about a 1/2 hr per car and involves unplugging the signal booster. Whether or not that’s an interim fix so customers can take delivery of their cars or the permanent technical solution doesn’t seem to be clear.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2018, 22:45 »
Well, from over on the Seat forums, the following seems to be the cause of the problem:

It has come to light that the signal-boosting technology has been found to be capable of receiving signals from restricted sources and organisations that are ordinarily illegal to intercept.

In the interests of public security and regulatory constraints, SEAT has taken the decision to immediately stop deliveries of all new and used vehicles containing these wireless charging phone boxes.

The issue does not affect customers’ safety and from the limited details we have been given it certainly sounds fixable, the actual technology working effectively – perhaps overly so – and the aim being to ensure that customers will no longer be able to receive data that they shouldn’t have accoess to
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 22:48 by Sootchucker »

Offline 458jase

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2018, 08:52 »
My VW dealer is meant to be fixing this issue on a new Golf I am picking up next Saturday. Does anybody know how the fix might be done as I'm worried that it will involve taking part of the dash apart and if so I would be pretty upset that they are doing this on my new car?? 

They said only involves lifting of carpet and some very minor work, but not 100% convinced.