Author Topic: pedestrian avoidance  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: pedestrian avoidance
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2018, 14:36 »
I think it’s just part of the acc, whereas passenger protection is a option

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2018, 15:29 »
Its made by Bosch (of course), here is their video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hchll1M74-s

Note the 30kmh speed!

Can't find it. I have Driver Assistance Settings/Proactive Occupant   - but nothing to do with pedestrians.

Have I got the murderous vehicle option?

If front assist is active, its all part of that. Not a specific option to be enabled.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2018, 15:43 »
OK I understand now that there is no explicit option to enable the running over of pedestrians.

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2018, 21:29 »
OK I understand now that there is no explicit option to enable the running over of pedestrians.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.

Offline JoeG

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2018, 21:58 »
It does and it works!!
A few weeks ago I pulled out of a parking space onto a busy road (parking on both sides). I first checked in front then looked over my shoulder before pulling out to nip across lanes (I was parked on the 'wrong' side). As I accelerated across lanes a woman strode out from between 2 parked cars and I had that 'oh sh**' moment. I just couldn't have reacted in time, but then I felt the abs pumping and the car came to a controlled stop inches from the woman. I don't know about her, but I nearly had an accident in my pants!! Totally surreal and amazing experience, but I hope it NEVER happens again!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2018, 07:55 »
Amazing!

Well that's one lady who can thank VW!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2018, 08:16 »
I can also confirm the rear assist works too !

My new GTI has this (as well as side assist and lane assist), and I've only had it a week and a couple of days ago, I was reversing off my driveway, which on the passenger side is surrounded by relatively high greenery. OK I was only going slow, but as the back end of my car nosed off the drive into the cul-de-sac, my next door neighbours 5 year old suddenly ran out behind the car chasing a ball. A saw him briefly in the rear view camera and the sensors immediately beeped, but in a split second before I could react, the car slammed on the brakes and stopped the car whilst I still had my foot on the accelerator pedal and certainly not on the brake pedal.

Pretty impressive really, although it was still a heart in the mouth moment, and it didn't stop him from getting a right boll*cking from his dad, who thanked me for being so careful  ;D
« Last Edit: 09 May 2018, 08:20 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 09 May 2018, 08:45 »
So we have now established that a Golf or VW is Not the hit man's weapon of choice.... My Ex is safe then !  :grin: :grin:
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 09 May 2018, 09:05 »
Sooty - that's just because you have manoeuvre braking turned on - its working from the parking sensors.

I said on here before, there is a friend's drive I reverse off of regularly that is a steep slope down to the road - you can to push the parking mode button to disable it otherwise it brakes when it sees the road! Kinda dangerous when you are trying to reverse onto a main road! Used to it now :D

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2018, 15:35 »
The GTD has it tested it once with a stack of cardboard boxes very surprised how late it brakes and stops the car. Have noticed the rear sensors get confused by the steep driveway and slam the brakes on thinking they’re going to hit an imaginary object.