Author Topic: Water laying in windscreen wiper tray  (Read 943 times)

Offline GOLFA1

• Just got here
Water laying in windscreen wiper tray
« on: 20 January 2018, 15:09 »
Hi,
I am new to both this forum and the GOLF MK 7.5 so hello to all. It is raining here in London and I have just noticed that water is laying in the windscreen wiper tray and not draining. I have looked to see if anything was blocked but seems to me there are nowhere for the water to drain away or at least I can't find any?

Any help would be appreciated or is this a trip to the dealers to sort out as the car is under warranty I have only had it 3 weeks.

Kind regards
Ray

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Water laying in windscreen wiper tray
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2018, 17:44 »
Hi Ray, welcome to the forum :smiley:

Unless my memory fails me, there is just the one drain point at the extremity of the tray though I don't recall which end. If the car is parked on a camber the water could be collecting at the wrong end thus not draining. Pretty sure you'll be fine. Have a look over on the MK7 model specific section http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=117.0 , loads of help and information there to help you get the most from your car. What exactly have you got?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GOLFA1

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2018, 18:34 »
Hi Watts,
Thanks for the welcome, after a lot of searching and head banging I found it is exactly what you say just one drain hole which is located on the drivers side! My car is parked on a camber with drivers side at the top of it so that the passengers side is lower so the water is pooling on that side. A bad design fault in my opinion on VW part!

I have a 2017 face-lift  Golf SE NAV only a 1.6 TDI but love it having come from a 2001 BORA. At almost 73 years of age GTI's and R's are for the younger guys although I must admit i would still love to have one but a bit out of my pension reach don't you know! But from what I read the R is one of the most stolen cars in the UK at present lets hope they leave my humble 1.6 just where it belongs. Love these forums so many guys and gals willing to help us old timers and loads to learn.

Once again thanks for the reply, I will look into modding the passengers side to see what can be done to make a proper drain that side.

Forgot to say it is "BLACK RUBIN" and I love it :wink:
Kind regards
Ray
« Last Edit: 20 January 2018, 18:47 by GOLFA1 »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2018, 19:09 »
There's no 'only' about it Ray, a fine car indeed. A friend of mine has a similar model and that helped me decide to buy mine and very pleased I am too :smiley: I wouldn't risk a diy drain hole if I were you, the water pooling is not a problem, afterall, every other Golf is the same! Also you may cause water to drain onto something that doesn't water a drenching....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GOLFA1

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2018, 19:31 »
You are probably right best left alone :smiley: