Author Topic: VW Driver Mag - Project GTI winter tyres  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: VW Driver Mag - Project GTI winter tyres
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2018, 11:56 »
Its just all of the additional hassle of getting them swapped over for what is most likely never an issue most years.

So most winters, the temperature doesn't go below +7 degrees C?

There is a editorial in the VW Driver Magazine article which discusses this. It says that, according to the MET office, for 5 months the UK average temperature is below 7C.

I still find it funny that people don't get winter tyres...

... perceived cost, lack of understanding and experience. Because people believe it is expensive. Because they don't understand all the winter driving advantages. Because they have little experience of snow and ice - especially in the southern half of the UK.

My wife has winter tyres. I know how good winter tyres are, yet I decided not to put winter tyres on my car. :rolleyes: I regretted that decision yesterday. :embarrassed:

The average UK temperature may well be sub 7c for 5 months of the year but down here in the south east we are the ones experiencing the higher temperatures - this week we have had days at around 10c and for the next 10 days are forecast between 9 and 12. Currently we are at 2c and it is attempting to snow but we are forecast 10c at 2300 tonight! The big problem with posts on the subject of winter tyres is that many are speaking from the pov of living in the colder parts of the UK and can't understand why others can be of a different opinion. Yes, I fully understand the benefits of winter tyres and no, I don't think of them as just snow tyres but, here where I live they would be a nice to have, but not a necessity. I doubt if there are many users round here at all but I don't see cars crashing all over the place. For me, in these conditions, it's just not worth the outlay but if we were to get more consistent colder conditions then I absolutely would consider them.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2018, 14:01 »
The big problem with posts on the subject of winter tyres is that many are speaking from the pov of living in the colder parts of the UK and can't understand why others can be of a different opinion. Yes, I fully understand the benefits of winter tyres...
... nail head hit.

Conversely, many people who live in the southern half of the UK are speaking from their experience and don't understand why anyone in the UK would need winter tyres.

Even the years when the entire country does not get much snow - there are often several weeks of icy conditions in the northern half of the UK. Usually accompanied by a lot of accidents.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2018, 14:16 »
Its just all of the additional hassle of getting them swapped over for what is most likely never an issue most years.

So most winters, the temperature doesn't go below +7 degrees C?

There is a editorial in the VW Driver Magazine article which discusses this. It says that, according to the MET office, for 5 months the UK average temperature is below 7C.

I still find it funny that people don't get winter tyres...

... perceived cost, lack of understanding and experience. Because people believe it is expensive. Because they don't understand all the winter driving advantages. Because they have little experience of snow and ice - especially in the southern half of the UK.

My wife has winter tyres. I know how good winter tyres are, yet I decided not to put winter tyres on my car. :rolleyes: I regretted that decision yesterday. :embarrassed:

The average UK temperature may well be sub 7c for 5 months of the year but down here in the south east we are the ones experiencing the higher temperatures - this week we have had days at around 10c and for the next 10 days are forecast between 9 and 12. Currently we are at 2c and it is attempting to snow but we are forecast 10c at 2300 tonight! The big problem with posts on the subject of winter tyres is that many are speaking from the pov of living in the colder parts of the UK and can't understand why others can be of a different opinion. Yes, I fully understand the benefits of winter tyres and no, I don't think of them as just snow tyres but, here where I live they would be a nice to have, but not a necessity. I doubt if there are many users round here at all but I don't see cars crashing all over the place. For me, in these conditions, it's just not worth the outlay but if we were to get more consistent colder conditions then I absolutely would consider them.

Which is why I don't get them anymore. The last time I had winter tyres was on my old Volvo when I was travelling up to Scotland at least twice a month.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2018, 15:12 »
Talking of snow, we had a lot before Christmas and even this weekend. And I live in the Southern half of the UK....  :whistle:
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2018, 15:37 »
Talking of snow, we had a lot before Christmas and even this weekend. And I live in the Southern half of the UK....  :whistle:

This sums up what we've had adequately :rolleyes:

Amazingly Heathrow still experienced major disruption despite having invested in a gritting/ploughing centre a few years ago...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2018, 16:07 »
That's all you need if you're on summer tyres and there is a slight hill.

Photo below was before Christmas just outside of Brighton, road far from being covered in snow.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2018, 16:21 »
I think some benefit of the doubt should be given to the fact people realise that it’s horses for different courses depending on where in the uk you live.  As someone who’s lived for many years in both the north (Yorkshire, Lancashire) and south of the country (Wiltshire, Somerset, Kent) I can see both perspectives equally and if I was currently residing in the northern or colder parts of the country I would undoubtedly have winter tyres fitted.  But, in the south east, and I’m right in the far corner where we even seem to miss what other parts of the south east get, Watts is spot on, he does sum it up perfectly to an extent. As with him, I don’t think of winter tyres as purely snow tyres, I know it’s about damp conditions, low temps etc etc, however in recent years this far down winter tyes have not been a necessity, if you drive with care and attention.  But elsewhere it could be a different story.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2018, 16:23 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2018, 17:53 »
That's all you need if you're on summer tyres and there is a slight hill.

Photo below was before Christmas just outside of Brighton, road far from being covered in snow.

Did they crash because there was a tiny bit of snow or because they were a crap driver.

Touch wood the last time I had crash that was my fault was well over 500k miles ago.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 21 January 2018, 19:50 »
I'd assume a combination of both. Most likely if I had asked they'd have punched me in the face  :grin:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #29 on: 21 January 2018, 19:55 »
Obviously, all it takes is 1 nights frost and 1 patch of black ice for accidents to happen.

Over the years, I have noticed that sudden cold snaps with frost seem to catch people out. Many people don't appear to associate frost with danger. They don't drive according to the conditions. Many of them will be too young and/or inexperienced to realise the danger.

Back on the subject of winter tyres. Our last winter tyres were not good in warmer weather. We have both noticed a big improvement with the current Continental TS 850 tyres. In fact it was over 20C last year before I remembered to put the summer tyres back on the A3.

I am curious to see what a performance winter tyre would be like on my car. :nerd:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS