Author Topic: T-Roc R, maybe GTD, no GTI  (Read 6025 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: T-Roc R, maybe GTD, no GTI
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2018, 17:10 »
Me too. As long as no one complains that this is a GTI only forum.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2018, 18:44 »

PS I think I have seen a BMW interior with the same style of colour coded metal/plastic dash trim. Probably the latest fashion dreamed up by some child!

They have been doing colour coded interior for years.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2018, 18:54 »

PS I think I have seen a BMW interior with the same style of colour coded metal/plastic dash trim. Probably the latest fashion dreamed up by some child!

Exactly, finding ways of doing things cheap and convincing buyers that it's a feature is not a new thing! Still, loads of cars have cheap tacky interiors like Fords and they sell really well.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2018, 19:15 »
OK here goes.

The model I had was the T-Roc Design with a 115ps Petrol Engine, Manual. Price £23-24k I believe.

Disclaimer:
Only my person opinions which are based on around 8 years of driving and owning 4 VW’s in that time. I’m far from an expert, I’d call myself an enthusiast.

Initial thoughts:
Initially I liked it. The car felt comfortable and modern in looks. The colour was Turmeic Yellow which I wasn’t a fan of but I’m sure a nice black or grey would greatly improve it for my personal tastes. Driving it seemed very easy, much like the POLO I owned until recently.

Interior:
As I said earlier the interior is cheap. The steering wheel seemed faux-leather and there are fake buttons on the dashboard, centre console and above your head next to the rear view mirror. The trims on the doors were woeful, cost cutting personified.

The steering wheel and gear stick seemed like they were straight out of the POLO, there didn’t seem to be much imagination. The only plus was the touch screen which seemed very modern and responsive. I think it’s the same one that’s now standard across the range.

In my opinion the interior is what really lets the car down.

Space:

There’s a decent amount of space for driver and front seat passenger and head room is good. Not so much space for back seat passengers but enough not to complain about.

The boot space is impressive. I don’t know the exact capacity but it’s considerably more than say a Golf. Perhaps even double.

Additionally I always check the glove box - very little space.

Exterior:
I’m in two minds with this one. A lot of it is subjective but I feel like the front looks like a beefy Passat and the rear looks like a Beetle (not great). This being said I quite like the fact that it’s a bit different. Not so different though like the Citroen Cactus (horrid). The T Roc certainly turned heads but that was probably more to do with the Turmeric Yellow.

The standard Alloys are not bad in my opinion, I probably wouldn’t change these if I specced one from new.

Ride/comfort:
The driving position is maybe not quite as high as I would have liked, when compared with say a Tiguan or a Q3. The ride itself was very comfortable. I could easily see myself feeling comfortable after a 2/3 hour drive.

The engine was quiet and the chunky tyres/suspension soaked up most of the bumps in the road. There’s also a decent ground clearance although I wouldn’t like to test it out in a flood!

Engine/handling:
At first I thought the car was nippy and I assumed it had the 150ps Petrol engine. Actually it has the 115ps Petrol so that did impress me. Obviously this lacked torque but it seems like you’d get a decent pull from the 150ps if you were to upgrade.

It was very easy to drive, almost stupidly easy. I feel it was even easier to drive than my 2016 POLO. It handled nicely and also felt safe.

The fuel economy was not great, I was getting around 35mpg on a long distance motorway drive however I feel this would perhaps improve after the car has done a few thousand miles.

Conclusion:
You’d need to spend £25k plus to get a decent spec. I’m sure there would be CarWow or other companies offering deals however. I enjoyed driving the car however I think it was more the novelty of having an SUV- type car having never owned one. If you spend £25k on a VW you can get a Golf with decent features, and the build quality would be far superior. I feel that in a few years they may depreciate significantly and a second hand one might become a good deal. I’d like to drive a Q2 to compare. 

Would I buy one? Yes, for the Mrs, for £15k! (No I wouldn’t buy one).

2015 MK7 GTI DSG, Limestone Grey, Leather, Nav Pro

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2018, 20:01 »
Thorough, fair and good write-up there Richyb, thanks :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2018, 21:02 »
fake buttons on the dashboard, centre console and above your head next to the rear view mirror.

Fake buttons?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2018, 21:11 »
Sections of plastic cutouts that look like buttons but in reality don’t do anything.

Best (worst) example was the section next to the interior lights next to the drivers head. In a golf you stole away your sunglasses, in the T Roc it looks like you should be able to but actually there’s nothing there.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2018, 21:26 »
Because your one didn't have all options?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2018, 00:25 »
I suspect that’s the reason for some of them missing yes

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2018, 09:22 »

Fiat were doing it in the early 90’s too with the Fiat Coupe; 2.09 - 2.26 in the video at the link below;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YZPhd6I5eGs

fake buttons on the dashboard, centre console and above your head next to the rear view mirror.

Fake buttons?

It’s not unusual for car manufacturers to produce generic auxilliary switchgear panels that cover all models in a vehicle range, and fit ‘blanks’ in positions where a feature isn’t available in a particular model or hasn’t been specified by the original owner. VW do this on the mk7 Golf if you don’t have heated seats; the outer two buttons on the switchgear panel in the centre console will be ‘fake buttons’ or blanks, and not all the buttons either side of the gear selector are utilised in all models; some of these are blanks too.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl