Author Topic: A year on...  (Read 17438 times)

Offline tuonodave

• Just got here
Re: A year on...
« Reply #40 on: 19 January 2018, 17:11 »
hi first post on this site I have a golf r and turned off the soundaktor. stupid thing with obdeleven 
but a believe the soundaktor. unit is fixed to the firewall on rubber mounts which I believe can wear rapidly and vibrate

badly anyway just joined the forum as the wife has just brought a 64 plate gti don't pick it till next week but she's
super excited hope you get to the bottom of your problems

regards dave

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #41 on: 19 January 2018, 19:23 »
Hi Dave!

From what I can remember, the soundaktor was just bolted in on a bit of a flimsy bracket but it’s only a small, lightweight unit.  I made sure mine wouldn’t rattle again by tightening everything up, including securing the wiring, and using some insulating tape to deaden some vibration.

I don’t mind little almost cost-free fixes, but what I’m not about to do is spend a small fortune replacing the suspension to cure a knock that shouldn’t be there.

Hope your wife enjoys the new car!
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 22 January 2018, 17:26 »
Car ready to collect from the dealers.  Surprise surprise... no fault found.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
Soon to be gone!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 22 January 2018, 17:37 »

What a pain, you must be rather frustrated. Have you considered getting the fault diagnosed by an independent garage? Then you could present the evidence to the dealer and demand they refund any cost, it's not like you havrn't given them every chance. Or try a different VW garage?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 22 January 2018, 17:53 »

What a pain, you must be rather frustrated. Have you considered getting the fault diagnosed by an independent garage? Then you could present the evidence to the dealer and demand they refund any cost, it's not like you havrn't given them every chance. Or try a different VW garage?

I'm at an independent garage.  :grin:

To be fair, visually everything looks spot on.  I can also drive the car at times and the knock is not present, but it should have been evident in the 47 miles that they've driven the car.  I'm not prepared to accept it's a characteristic of the Mk7 GTI, I wouldn't have ordered one had the vehicle that I test drove had the knock.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
Soon to be gone!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 22 January 2018, 18:09 »

To be fair, visually everything looks spot on.  I can also drive the car at times and the knock is not present, but it should have been evident in the 47 miles that they've driven the car.  I'm not prepared to accept it's a characteristic of the Mk7 GTI, I wouldn't have ordered one had the vehicle that I test drove had the knock.

How about my second suggestion, an alternative main dealer? Are you 100% sure it is the suspension?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #46 on: 22 January 2018, 18:21 »

How about my second suggestion, an alternative main dealer? Are you 100% sure it is the suspension?

It's consistent with a suspension issue, hence when it first went in and I was able to demonstrate the fault on the test drive the technician and I were in agreement that it was either a top mount or the shock absorber.  Reluctant to leave the car for a fourth time with a different dealer at my inconvenience (the local one is pretty much walking distance from home, the other two in the area less so).  I've re-opened my case with VW UK and suggested three acceptable outcomes.

I don't drive it at the minute (I have another car anyway), it's incredibly disappointing/frustrating to drive so it's not worth the hassle.  Expensive paperweight.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
Soon to be gone!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 22 January 2018, 18:32 »

It's consistent with a suspension issue, hence when it first went in and I was able to demonstrate the fault on the test drive the technician and I were in agreement that it was either a top mount or the shock absorber.  Reluctant to leave the car for a fourth time with a different dealer at my inconvenience (the local one is pretty much walking distance from home, the other two in the area less so).  I've re-opened my case with VW UK and suggested three acceptable outcomes.

I don't drive it at the minute (I have another car anyway), it's incredibly disappointing/frustrating to drive so it's not worth the hassle.  Expensive paperweight.

Really sorry to hear that, mine was a right pain for a couple of months due to a noisy wheel bearing and I didn't want to go far nor was I enjoying driving it. But at least the dealers didn't mess me about it just took ages to get a booking. Hopefully yours will get resolved soon and you can get out and enjoy it again :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 22 January 2018, 18:35 »

That is what Ilor rather my solicitor) did with mine and they offered me a new car.

1) Replace car
2) Fix car within one month
3) Fix after 1 month and give me a goodwill gesture
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #49 on: 22 January 2018, 19:02 »
That is what Ilor rather my solicitor) did with mine and they offered me a new car.

1) Replace car
2) Fix car within one month
3) Fix after 1 month and give me a goodwill gesture

Were the dealers in that instance also saying no fault?
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
Soon to be gone!