Author Topic: You're all maniacs (allegedly)!!  (Read 10842 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: You're all maniacs (allegedly)!!
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2017, 16:34 »
Of course not all company car drivers drive like maniacs.

As I said, I am old and slow now, sticking to the speed limits at all times.

So that's at least one :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2017, 18:47 »
Quote from: Sootchucker

See, it's not just GTD owners.....now don't get me started on Audi and BMW drivers... :laugh:
[/quote

So thoroughly enjoying my S1 at i may add sensible speeds!......only wanted it for the roof spoiler, it's a stop gap car till the mk8 golf arrives  :smiley:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2017, 18:47 »
As if by magic, I was burned off whilst doing my 'Miss Daisy' driving today, by a very rapidly travelling blue Golf R!

If only he knew I was on the school run and running ma baby GTD in, perhaps he/she wouldn't have so aggressively passed me on the slip road. Good thing was, I got to hear an R at full bore! Very nice indeed..

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2017, 19:38 »
As if by magic, I was burned off whilst doing my 'Miss Daisy' driving today, by a very rapidly travelling blue Golf R!

If only he knew I was on the school run and running ma baby GTD in, perhaps he/she wouldn't have so aggressively passed me on the slip road. Good thing was, I got to hear an R at full bore! Very nice indeed..

You should not be driving like miss Daisy when running in - it's as bad for the car as cold thrashing. But yes, an R at full acceleration sounds great (I do like to induce that noise regularly!).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2017, 13:47 »

You should not be driving like miss Daisy when running in - it's as bad for the car as cold thrashing. But yes, an R at full acceleration sounds great (I do like to induce that noise regularly!).

Miss Daisy in a moderate hurry for some Fried Green Tomato's!?  :smiley:

We have been told, to take it easy and only use up to 3,000 rpm, but still use all the functions, like ECO, NORMAL & SPORT modes, by VW . Also it states to drive gently for the first 1000km and gently build up from 1000-1500km, in the VW Bible of a handbook. Obviously we are not letting the engine labour though, as this is bad!
 But hey, if you any knowledge on how best to run a new car in, please kindly share, would be appreciated. Loving the R btw, dream car that, as is a GTD!
« Last Edit: 04 February 2017, 17:21 by GTDING »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2017, 18:05 »
GTDING:

I've had 8 new VWs (7 of them TDIs), and one of them (a 2005 Golf GT 140TDI) was run in on motorway miles (800 miles sat mainly sat at 80 in 6th doing 2200rpm) That car dropped to amber oil top up warning at 350 miles, took a litre of oil, 450 miles later took another litre, then took a litre every 1000 miles thereafter. MPG was crap on it and it was sluggish.

Every other one i've had has been run in on mixed miles, using up to 2/3 throttle for the first 500 miles, 3/4 throttle for the next 500 miles and then do what you like with it thereafter (obviously don't hoof it before the oil has warmed up. None of the others have used a drop of oil between services and have had pretty good mpg.

If you baby it your rings won't be seated well, you might get glazed bores and both of those things give poor mpg and high oil consumption. I wouldn't be scared of taking it above 3000 revs at any stage of the running in period ( once the oil is warm), but i'd keeping it below 4000 revs.

The R is great - that had an enthusiastic run in and i'm averaging 33mpg in it without holding back (and without driving like a nutter constantly) - more than I thought I would be getting.

I found the MK7 GTD ran best on Esso diesel, and ran poorly on Shell V-power.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2017, 22:09 »
Thanks monkeyhanger. I've been doing a mixture of town driving, as we actually live in a town and then 50mph A roads, then bit more town (well village) driving, then A road, then town...ok you get my drift (its the school run, but a long one!). Done a couple of motorway trips of 10 miles each, speeds up to 60-70mph there.

Nearly on 400 miles now. Checking for oil consumption; none as yet and I never thrash a cold engine ever.

Before taking delivery I read this: https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/running-in-a-new-car

I reckon the AA must know a thing or two about cars and problems with cars, so I have followed this to the letter. All good so far. I'd rather keep it to max 3,000rpm as they recommend. If you look at what they say about petrol engines, it does indeed say rev to 4,000rpm when reaching 500-600 miles, but only to 3,000rpm before this mileage.

I appreciate your staple diet of VW's! I'm guessing (only guessing) your present car is your favorite of all, the R? Interesting about the ESSO tiger :wink: fuel, I've always thought Shell to be the best, with BP fairly close to it..

« Last Edit: 04 February 2017, 22:12 by GTDING »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2017, 23:18 »
^ My previous TDIs before the GTD used to have a slight preference for Shell, but I found that the GTD was noticeably thirstier and more sluggish on it - more so V-power Diesel. It is less calorific than regular diesel due to the synthesised content having a shorter average hydrocarbon chain length and lowish Cetane number. It is cleaner, with more detergents, so will help a dirty old engine - but not a clean new one. First few tanks the GTD got were V-power and as soon as I tried other fuels my mpg went up 10% with more response.

From my GTD experience, Esso/BP/Sainsburys were a lot better than Shell/Morrisons.

If you haven't got there yet, when your car hits about 620 miles (equivalent to 1000km), the car will open up a bit. It has been like clockwork on the last 3 VWs, which makes me think that there is a VW rngine management running in program going on.

The R is a complete beast, probably my favourite VW, second favourite being a 2011 170TDI Scirocco. If you haven't got Bridgestones (which will make the car tramp a lot unless you have a very light right foot), a DTUK or JB1 box will transform the GTD - It will pull as hard in 6th as it currently does in 4th!

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2017, 01:26 »
Thanks, good to know someone with all that experience in the cars.

Sorry for my ignorance but, what are DTUK and JB1 boxes? Coming from a 64bhp Skoda, the GTD feels Starship Enterprise fast to me already!  :grin:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2017, 09:23 »
Thanks, good to know someone with all that experience in the cars.

Sorry for my ignorance but, what are DTUK and JB1 boxes? Coming from a 64bhp Skoda, the GTD feels Starship Enterprise fast to me already!  :grin:

They'll get you up to 240PS and 500Nm of Torque without noticeably affecting your fuel economy. I had one on my GTD and then my Dad inherited my DTUK box for his GTD. The GTD's drivetrain is comfortably overengineered - lots of people here have run one without issue. I'd  have one on my R if only for the fact that VW put a "just enough" clutch in the GTI and R which would have a very high possibility of slipping - I don't know anyone with a GTD whose clutch slipped after fitting a tuning box.