Author Topic: Warning message on mfd re: oil temp  (Read 24102 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Warning message on mfd re: oil temp
« on: 04 February 2015, 15:17 »
Wife was driving her 2012 (sorry) 1.6 bluemotion when she heard a ping and a message flashed up on the MFD saying "oil temp 98 degrees F". It then disapeared and hasn't reappeared.

Can't find any reference to it in the handbook and 98F doesn't seem overly hot, so whats it all about?

Offline charlie

• I live here
Re: Warning message on mfd re: oil temp
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2015, 16:10 »
Are you sure it's not the outside temp warning going below 4 degrees
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2015, 16:30 »
Think my wife knows the difference between 4 and 98 degrees... Well I hope she does.   :whistle:

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2015, 16:44 »
Sorry no offence meant just sometimes busy roads and suddenly ping on the dash can be a distraction
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2015, 17:50 »
I'm sure it would be 98 degrees C, not F, but even so, I've seen 110 degrees C in the summer when towing in my Passat without any warning lights. I wouldn't worry about it. There are far too many electronics that will throw up a warning at the slightest voltage spike in our cars these days. I only worry about warning lights if the stay on.

I had a tyre pressure warning message in my Passat the other day. I've got my winter wheels on that have no sensors in them, so where the car got its rouge signal from, who knows.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2015, 21:36 »
As far as I know, the low tyre pressure system works via the ABS sensors counting wheel revs. If a tyre is soft, the wheel rotation speed is slightly different and it throws up a warning.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2015, 21:38 »
Sorry no offence meant just sometimes busy roads and suddenly ping on the dash can be a distraction

No offence taken, was a good suggestion, but checked with Diane and she was pretty sure. She is generally very much on the ball having competed in sprints and rallies as a driver....

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2015, 08:14 »
As far as I know, the low tyre pressure system works via the ABS sensors counting wheel revs. If a tyre is soft, the wheel rotation speed is slightly different and it throws up a warning.

It does on the Golf, but the Passat it has pressure sensors in the tyre valves which send a wireless signal to the car. The MFD has a display with a picture of the car showing live tyre pressures. When I took my 'summer' wheels off, after a mile or so down the road a message pings up "Tyre Pressure Monitoring System OFF!" and the picture in the MFD disappears. When I refit them in the spring I'll get a message telling me the TPMS is back on again.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2015, 14:24 »
It could have been on the oil temperature display anyway, and just beeped because outside temperature dropped below 4 degrees? Mines been beeping a lot this week! Just to clarify this is what I'm referring to:

98C is nowhere near too hot for the engine
« Last Edit: 07 February 2015, 14:26 by J400uk »
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2015, 02:35 »
98 degrees F

Don't you have all temperatures displayed in the MFD in °C or do you prefer °F, you can change that in the MFD settings?
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.