Author Topic: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'  (Read 94414 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Re: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2006, 21:35 »
So fixed the exhaust today with the help of Mr Lewy at his RAF base... the exhaust was moving alot at the front down pipe, so needed to replace C clips and exhaust ring - the noise was bad!

Let's just say to replace 2 x C clips and exhaust ring that goes in between manifold and the down pipe, took a good 2 hours if more, even with the right tool to remove the C clips, it was a complete B**tard to do. We had to take the whole exhaust off it rubber mounts, then after alot of swearing and sweat - we completed it - cheers Lewy for help mate.

Also got back from wheels after refurb. Think I will be selling these.

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:37 by Madone_si »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2006, 16:48 »
Added a IPOD adaptor to my Alpine Tape stereo (keeping style of stereo with car year 92/93) only took all of 15 minutes to do, took stereo apart and added the adaptor direct into stereo circuits, run cable out back of stereo - after drilling hole in back and then ran cable to glove box, will install IPOD power adaptor at weekend.

Another job completed :)

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2006, 16:38 »
When does fixing cars stop?????????!!!!!!!!!  :tongue:

So today I thought I would start taking the gearbox out again as my clutch went on the car this week - lucky for me, I managed to slowly drive home for 5 miles at max of 10mph.... I think I really pissed off alot of people behind me....

After borrowing a jack - need two to get a gearbox out (if you've done it before your know how much of a pain it is!!!), I managed to get the gearbox out and now sitting on the garage floor - waiting for me to clean it up and spray it - so it looks all nice and new! The clutch is some what dead.  :laugh:

I also checked the CV joints and it looks like my drivers one is worn a bit and starting to make noises when turning, so I will replace both sides.

I will also replace the wheel bearings on both sides... :)

There goes my plans for going racing tomorrow...  :sad:

And I ordered my new wheels for the cab 8 x 16''

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Will have to do a bit of arch work when they arrive....  :cool:
« Last Edit: 05 February 2006, 23:28 by Madone »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2006, 15:43 »
So at the weekend - I put my cab back together as I took out the engine and gearbox as a whole - as it was easier to do then fussing about with just the gearbox just to put a new clutch in.  This also gave me space to give the engine bay a bit of clean and check all brake pipes, cables and gearbox linkage... which I replaced all rubbers - gear linkage is now even better!!!

The new Clutch was installed - all lined up by my own eyes.... best way in my view!! I put on a spare gearbox I bought a few weeks ago so I could focus on rebuilding my gearbox as the first/second synco were gone.... (not good when driving I can tell u!)

While I was at it I gave the engine a oil change - amazing how you can put 3,000 miles on car over a short period of time...

So the car is back on the road again  :cool:... but I still have a few items waiting to turn up...

My new wheels...  :grin: :grin: :grin:
New Rocker cover and rocker cover gasket - will clean up the one I have on it now and sell on later...
New 6 bolt manifold -  :smiley:

Once all this is installed - I won't be doing much more to the car until late summer - when I think a bit more BHP is due, upgraded braking and change of suspension.... well your have to wait and see....

« Last Edit: 15 November 2007, 22:51 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2006, 13:37 »
Parts turning up...

New rocker cover - now painted in Black - same as car  :cool: and a spare rocker cover in chrome... hehe bling bling!!!

Also took off the door armour plates and painted up as well :smiley:

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:41 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2006, 21:15 »
So after having a NEW full set of Deluxe black with White GTI sign matt's from JUSTMATZ sitting in the spare room from since Ed38 last year I thought I would install them at the weekend. They really do finish off the interior:cool:

I also cleaned up and painted a lower front adjustable strut brace (given to me by a friend - thanks alot man) - will be installing it soon... picture below

I also adjusted my gear linkage as it wasn't going into the gears smooth - a nice and easy job to do and worth checking if you have any issues with getting into any gear - I replied all the bush's when I did the clutch - so its lovely now.

Picture of car  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:51 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2006, 15:43 »
So I picked up my 6 bolt exhaust manifold and downpipe the other weekend and cleaned it up and put it on the car - not really any increase of BHP - but its alot easier now to take off and put back on when doing work on the engine  :smiley:

Will be getting these lovely new wheels 8 x 16  :cool:

« Last Edit: 15 November 2007, 22:50 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2006, 20:31 »
Car sold.......!!!  :laugh: (am thinking about it...... I want another porkie... another 911 '964' Turbo would be nice!!)

So with a alot of motorway driving in the last few weekends, the poor front end of the car has taken alot of stone chips, so the front bumper and slam panel will be sprayed again in the following weeks - Cheers Dad!!!  :smiley:  :smiley:

Late last week I resprayed the rear bumper again as I wasn't happy with a large amount of paint that come off it after working in the boot area... well it happens sometimes!!!! - look lovely now.  :cool:

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 06:53 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 01 April 2006, 13:51 »
New wheels!!!

So I went and picked up the above new wheels from Rocco Jocco in Swindon (I know!!). I got tyres for them and put on the car (see pic's below)

You maybe asking what is he doing with the Schmidt ML's... well they are just too wide for the car until I get the arch work done and car resprayed some time in July/Aug 06, so they are staying in the shed for a little longer....  :smiley: So until then I'll have a nice set of wheels on the car for summer  :cool:

Rude not to clean the car after putting the new wheels on.

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:28 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2006, 17:43 »
Well I have to say I used my AA recovery service for the first time yesterday evening.... car just died on the A303 on me, no warning or anything.....  :angry: well 20 minutes later the AA man and friend in hand joins me...   :smiley: :smiley: now that is AA service for you.. hehe outcome is the Alternator is totally Dead and not charging the battery... as I've got a Heavy duty battery must of been using up the battery for the last few days as I've only just got back from holiday this week.

So yesterdays trip to pick up my new gearbox has to be rescheduled now to next weekend....  so this morning popped to GSF and got a new Alternator for car and installed - back and working again with-in an hour. With the weather so lovely and hot today, it seemed rude not to clean the car. So after a few hours, the car is looking all nice and clean again

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:02 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92