Author Topic: MK4 Rear Pads  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
MK4 Rear Pads
« on: 10 July 2006, 19:39 »
Right after a bit of info ..we bought a 2003 gt tdi at the end of feb from VW this car was supposed to have had a 30,000 miles full service before we took the car .. we have had the car 4 months an the rear pads are down to the metal .. how long should you get out of a set of rear pads .. obviously roughly dependin how it's driven.. an should this have been picked up on the service that they were worn

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Re: MK4 Rear Pads
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2006, 20:46 »
30k does seem like a quick 'wear-out' for a set of rears - They do bugger all compared to the fronts.  Dealers will do the bear minimum when selling cars.  It may seem harsh, but their single purpose in life is to make money, so they won't be saying "They'll need pads in 3-4 months time, lets throw a set on for them"!

The good news is though, that you can buy some pads from www.buypartsbuy.co.uk for £17.18 delivered, & they're an easy DIY, too! - You just need to borrow the special tool to wind the caliper back.  (Discs won't be too much, either, in case they're scored). :smiley:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2006, 08:38 »
the rear pads on my mk4 wear twice as quick as the front ones.. although the discs are a little bit shagged... probably 30k miles for me too.

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2006, 10:31 »
Wouldnt minded if they had lasted for 30 k .. but they lasted for 7k .. 4 months basically.. the garage have so far offered to pay .. half for new pads & discs .. but we are stilla rguing with them as you dont expect tp spend 12k on a car an the brakes be stuffed in 4 months ...

I know they cheap an easy to do .. is the principle of the matter .. we spent a lot on a decent car as we were fed up working on the mk 1 so wanted a car which wouldnt need anything doing to do it for a long while lol

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2006, 13:46 »
Wouldnt minded if they had lasted for 30 k .. but they lasted for 7k .. 4 months basically.. the garage have so far offered to pay .. half for new pads & discs .. but we are stilla rguing with them as you dont expect tp spend 12k on a car an the brakes be stuffed in 4 months ...

Fair enough...... That is a fair amount of wonga to spend on a motor.  Stick to your guns.

I know they cheap an easy to do .. is the principle of the matter .. we spent a lot on a decent car as we were fed up working on the mk 1 so wanted a car which wouldnt need anything doing to do it for a long while lol

Shouldn't have got a Mk4 then!!! :grin:

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2006, 10:42 »

Fair enough...... That is a fair amount of wonga to spend on a motor.  Stick to your guns.

Shouldn't have got a Mk4 then!!! :grin:

lol it';s only 3 years old ..anyway after much arguing .. martins VW (where we got the car) are paying for new pads an new discs an gave us a courtesy car 

:grin:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2006, 17:34 »
Is that Martins of Andover?

I bought my car from there & let's just say I had a few 'issues' with them! :grin:

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2006, 13:21 »
Is that Martins of Andover?

I bought my car from there & let's just say I had a few 'issues' with them! :grin:

nah Martins of basingstoke .. all part of the same group though ..we got the car back today new pads,new discs an they valeted it .. all for free .....

Just shows you gotta fight ur case ...

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2006, 13:46 »
Fair play.....  Result!!  :wink: