Author Topic: ENGINE CODES EXPLAINED +EXPECTED POWER FIGURES FROM FROM RE-MAPPING A 1.8 TURBO  (Read 61747 times)

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Seeing as these questions get asked a lot, I thought I'd post an explanation on them.  (Maybe Admin could make this a sticky? (If it's deemed worthy, that is!!)).  :wink:

Depending on your type of engine (The engine code can either be found on a sticker in your spare wheel well, in your handbook or on the o/s of your engine), you should easily be able to get between 195 & 230 bhp if you have your car 're-mapped' by Revo/Jabbasport/Stealth etc, etc.  This will depend on:-

- Sports Cat:  These are (usually) legal (please check with the manufacturer first), & offer the best gains (bar the re-map, of course.

- Uprated exhaust:  (Milltek exhausts come highly recommended on here - Am tempted to try the blueflame option myself, though. (Cheap on ebay & direct from factory)).

- Induction Kit/Panel Filter:  (Make sure the filter is NON oil based, or your MAF sensor will clog up).

- Diverter Valve:  The Forge FMCL007P has the biggest following.

The following re-map figures are Stage 1 outputs for the various 1.8 T's, but are approximate & depend on mods such as exhaust, downpipe, filter & who's rolling road it's been done on etc, etc., but they should give you a good idea of what's obtainable! 

AGU = 150 bhp - Throttle cable, KO3 turbo, 5 speed :- Re-maps to 185-200 bhp.

ARZ = 150 bhp - Drive-By-Wire, KO3 turbo, 5 speed.  :- Re-maps to 185-200 bhp.

AUM = 150 bhp - D.B.W., VVT, KO3-S turbo, 5 speed  :- Re-maps to 200-210 bhp. 

AUQ = 180 bhp - D.B.W., VVT, KO3-S turbo, 6 speed  :- Re-maps to 200-210 bhp.

ps Fuel consumption doesn't alter after the remap.  (Although there's a bigger temptation to plant your right foot! :grin:)

pps Please feel free to add to this list/info, everybody. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 12 July 2010, 09:28 by topher »
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Also, my car is the AGU engine, & was re-mapped to the figures you see in my signature when it was completely standard.

**EDIT**  My siggy used to say Jabbasport custom map & 202 bhp. ;)
« Last Edit: 17 July 2009, 17:14 by Ivor Mk4 Turbo »

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
who did your remap ?

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
who did your remap ?

The optimistic ones! :tongue:

I went for the Jabbasport one (£475), as my mate had previously had his done there with no problems, but most people will recommend a Revo franchise.  (They also offer a 5 hour free trial & are cheaper than Jabbasport, I believe???)
« Last Edit: 17 May 2006, 11:26 by Ivor Mk4 Turbo »

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Thought so :grin: they have a very customer friendly dyno down there. You'd really struggle to pop more than 200bhp out of a k03 with a stock exhaust, but bhp figures are just pub talk, whether its 190 or 202 it still shifts when you want it to :laugh:

I went for revo. Now most people will argue that it's 'generic' and that it'll never be as well tuned or customised to your car as a rolling road session. In return my argument is that revo technicians spend months and months on developing and testing each and every piece of code that they sell. It may not be tailored but it's tested and proven, and with stage upgrades you can keep on modding. Compare that to a bloke with a laptop who spends a couple of hours tweaking a handful of settings from a base generic map (yes, thats how its done.. they stick on a map from something like an Audi TT and work from there) and I know which I'd go for !

The plus point of a manual remap is you'll obviously have a RR printout to show your mates. Similarly though if you find a revo dealer with a rolling road they'll usually do before/after plots for free if you ask them, and throw in a diagnostics check at the same time.

Completely custom setups however (big turbo, methanol/nitrous, fmic etc etc) would require a custom map.. since there aren't enough 'generic' maps to suit everyone's modifications.

Offline Phil_M

• GTI forum regular
Just thought i would point out that jabba have had a new rolling road for some time now, which is far more realistic, all though the old one is still there so not sure if they still use it or not?

When i had my car remapped the first time on the old rollers it made 215hp lol  :shocked: and that was when it was a standard Agu. was well pleased at the time, didn't know it was 15-20hp out though.

Phil
« Last Edit: 25 September 2008, 23:12 by Phil_M »
GOLF 1.9T AGU TD05H 18G
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v218/pipmann30/GOLF%20GTI%20%20TURBO/?albumview=slideshow

Front wheel drive monster 0-60mph in under 5sec 0-100mph in 10sec

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: WHAT POWER FIGURES CAN I EXPECT FROM RE-MAPPING MY 1.8 T?
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2006, 23:43 »
I would doubt very much that a AUQ lump in standard trim would get 230bhp. 210 prehaps.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2006, 23:58 »
what years do the different engines come in like the AGU and ARZ etc.
Are the newer ones more tunable or more reliable when remapped etc.

I ask this coz I want a mark 4 and want to do the remap thing so want to know which reg/year to stay clear of etc

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2006, 14:08 »
I don't know the exact dates, but I'm pretty sure the ARZ came in, in 2001??

Easy to check though when you're viewing.....  The engine code should be on the off-side of the actual engine (underneath the plastic engine cover) or on the sticker which 'should' be in the spare wheel well/boot area.

They're all of equal reliability, but I'd say the newer ones were more tunable for 'simple' re-maps (especially the AUM/AUQ).

If you want big power/big turbo (ie. over 300 bhp), then the older AGU is the one to go for, as it is stronger has a larger ported head & larger valves.  :wink:

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2006, 19:12 »
I was hoping for around 250bhp so i can beat my mates dad in his VXR  :laugh:

so prob the K04 turbo is required yes?