Author Topic: Taking a Car to Europe - Advice required  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Callum33

• Just got here
Taking a Car to Europe - Advice required
« on: 20 February 2017, 15:58 »
Hello,

So I have just been offered a job in Germany and since I have only just got my hands on the GTI am loathe to give it up so soon.

Thanks to the intelligent lighting all the legal bits and bobs with that and carrying the right safety bits I can cover, but wondered if anyone had any experiences of taking a vehicle overseas long term, of the various taxes and registering it in the new country etc. and if its worth it?

All help appreciated
Current: MK7 GTI :)
WIP & First Love: VW Corrado 16v

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Taking a Car to Europe - Advice required
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2017, 16:02 »
http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/import-car.html seems to cover everything.

Guess you have to think how long you are going there for and what the best option is - even if it's "sell car, buy LHD one instead" :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2017, 16:26 »
Good advice from jv...I've been through the exercise twice.... although not in Germany, it is was in another EU country/state. For what it's worth...selling a RHD vehicle in Europe will almost always end up in a considerable loss to you. If you decide to go down the selling route, do it in the UK and replace it with a LHD, preferably buying it in Germany. The paperwork, red tape and other hassles, not to mention the money angle...makes it a right pain in the bum!!

Speaking from experience, this is my two bobs worth.

PS. If you have read through the stuff contained in the link which jv kindly provided, then you will have an idea about the amount of phaffing about which is required....trust me, it's a lot worse where I live!!!
« Last Edit: 20 February 2017, 16:51 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Callum33

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2017, 17:03 »
Thankyou both that link is especially useful, I don't have any plans on selling at the moment but considering if the hassle isn't worth it leaving it here with a friend who can use it and essentially become the main owner and look after up keep! But as someone who has had a car as soon as I could drive not sure I can live without one!
Current: MK7 GTI :)
WIP & First Love: VW Corrado 16v

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2017, 19:15 »
I know what you mean about being car-less, but you won't have any problem picking up a decent replacement in Germany...take your time, look around and I bet you will find one...I would hunt for a private sale, already registered, taxed etc, with a good service history...most German owners are meticulous when it comes to caring for their cars and the traffic cops are very good at spotting a piece of rubbish and keeping them off the roads.

Good luck.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.