Author Topic: Passat wheels on Gti  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
Passat wheels on Gti
« on: 21 March 2018, 18:45 »
I have been offered a set of new VW Passat wheels fitted with 235 45 R 18 W tyres. I have no idea what the actual offset of the wheels are until I see them, but Google suggests the following.

Golf    = 225/40ZR18 92Y    7.5Jx18 ET51   5x112
Passat = 235/45ZR18 98W    8Jx18 ET44   5x112

Any thoughts on whether they will fit?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Passat wheels on Gti
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2018, 19:04 »
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=40&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=51&width2=235&aspect2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=44

Those are the wrong tyres, you need a lower profile otherwise you'll increase the overall diameter/circumference and your speedo will be slightly out.
7.5 GTD

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2018, 23:50 »
Intersting link, thanks.

I can live with a speedo under reading slightly, not sure about the rim protruding another 13+ mm.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2018, 07:52 »
13mm is a fair lot.

If you fit them get Golf size tyres, Passat ones aren’t covered in CoC so your insurance may not like them. They also gear the car up....
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2018, 17:03 »
Although mine are 19's, the offset and width are similair (I've got 235/35R tyres on a 19x8.5 ET 46 wheel, so from that point of view, you'll be fine. I'm lowered on Eibach Sportline Springs and the only time I get rubbing is from the front inside edge of the tyre rubbing the plastic arch liner (but only just and only on one side) which might be slightly worse on yours due to the taller tyre.

It's one of those things that unless you actually try it, you'll never be sure. I personally think you'll be fine, although I'm not an expert and they may not be (that's a good disclaimer lol). I did run a (roughly) 2005 17" passat wheel on mine as a spare on the front for a couple of hundred miles. Can't remember the tyre size though.

If you got chance to bolt them on, it's worth doing it and going for a quick drive including full lock either side and over a couple of speed bumps (a bit quickly) to see if they rub.

Also, just let your insurance company know you're running slightly different sized tyres (for comfort) - there's a chance it might increase your premiums slightly but worth it for peace of mind
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2018, 19:47 »
It will look very odd if you leave those tyres on, I've seen plenty of cars with the wrong size overall diameter on and it will most likely most the car look a bit crap. The wheels might be fine but out the right size tyres on.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2018, 06:57 »
Double check on the aspect ratio of the tyres Pretzel.
Unless the very new Passats run balloon tyres I’d have put the size at 235/40 not 45.
The width and offset of the wheels will sit much squarer in the arches, but the tyres won’t be any good if they’re a 235/45
235/40’s are fine. I ran a set of those on my mk6 for a little while with no clearance or gearing issues. The mk7 has even more room in the arches.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2018, 12:46 »
Passat ones aren’t covered in CoC so your insurance may not like them.

I'm not sure I understand the term CoC, could you elaborate?

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2018, 12:49 »
Double check on the aspect ratio of the tyres Pretzel.
Unless the very new Passats run balloon tyres I’d have put the size at 235/40 not 45.
The width and offset of the wheels will sit much squarer in the arches, but the tyres won’t be any good if they’re a 235/45
235/40’s are fine. I ran a set of those on my mk6 for a little while with no clearance or gearing issues. The mk7 has even more room in the arches.

Its a 2017 Passat and the tyres are a 45 aspect ratio, wheels and tyres are both new so seems a shame to ditch the tyres but I agree it may not look quite right.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2018, 17:13 »
If they're brand new, I'd guess you could sell them on quite easily. It'll lessen the hit in the wallet for getting new one's in the right size.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!