Author Topic: Key not detected  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
Key not detected
« on: 07 April 2021, 13:58 »
So went to head off this morning, car opened with holding handle but then wouldn’t start ignition and said “Key not detected, hold key next to marked surface”. Well I’ve not had to do before so didn’t know where that was so just spare out as was in hurry.

Come back and know where marked area is now lol but key fob still not operating doors or ignition unless I hold on marked area.

Is it just a case of needing battery replacement in the fob? How long would battery normally last on keys? Been nearly 2 years but previous keys would last much longer but not keyless.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
Re: Key not detected
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2021, 14:16 »
Sounds very much like the battery, they normally last a year or two at the most. Also some replacements do not seem to work either which is somewhat confusing.
Most of us have now got to the point of keeping a spare in our wallets and one in the car.
As you have found out, generally there is no warning as to when they will fail  :sad:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2021, 14:20 »
Sounds very much like the battery, they normally last a year or two at the most. Also some replacements do not seem to work either which is somewhat confusing.
Most of us have now got to the point of keeping a spare in our wallets and one in the car.
As you have found out, generally there is no warning as to when they will fail  :sad:

Cheers, yeah just suddenly gone, no light, was a pain as in a hurry. Next thing, order some batteries lol
« Last Edit: 07 April 2021, 14:26 by Kpow99 »

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2021, 23:41 »
I've had two new key fobs replaced as the battery was lasting no more than 2 month. I had my Fabia VRS 8 years and never once touched the battery. Classic case of things not being built like they once were? Man, I miss my Fabia.

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2021, 09:34 »
This was a fairly recent thread.....

Common VAG issue....

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287040.0
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2021, 13:35 »

Come back and know where marked area.

Now I need to know where this is as have never heard of this but sounds like I will need to know at some point  :grin:
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline rtg1200

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2021, 14:40 »
Marked area for emergency start is where the ignition would ordinarily be, you should see a little key logo there.

I just this morning made a spare genuine  prox key for a lads 2016 Golf R, it was doing similar to whats described herbut his emergency start on both keys wasnt all that great, troublesome to pick up the keys transponder on the spot where the coil is on the steering column. When i programmed the new remote, it coded in first time no messing, but his original 2 wouldnt go back in at all, unfortunetly leaving him with only one good key. Ive seen where the transponder/ermergency start has packed up before on VW keys that use the same I.D so can only put it down to emergency start function/transponder chip breaks up when the remote starts playing up too.

He's left happy enough with his one good remote key to see how he gets on, and hopefully he'll be back for  a second.

EDIT, worth noting the correct battery for these keys is CR2025, not 2032 as people seem to put in them more than they should

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2021, 15:16 »
EDIT, worth noting the correct battery for these keys is CR2025, not 2032 as people seem to put in them more than they should

My 2020 Polo GTI+ with keyless ignition came with a CR2032 fitted in the key fob from new, so maybe VW are using 2032’s in later cars.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline rtg1200

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2021, 15:31 »
Possibly, worth keeping in mind ta

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2021, 16:06 »

My 2020 Polo GTI+ with keyless ignition came with a CR2032 fitted in the key fob from new, so maybe VW are using 2032’s in later cars.

Yes, was a 2025 in mine. Slightly thinner, not sure if the 32 would fit, if it did would be snug lol

Polo probably slightly different fob.