Author Topic: Headlining reupholstery complete  (Read 70527 times)

Offline mikemk4gti

• I live here
Re: Headlining reupholstery complete
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2012, 19:03 »
Got the stuff to do this in the post today. The old headlining is out but one corner has broken off :(
 Anyway hopefully be able to fix that, but someone has tried glue on it before and the back half has loads on which ain't coming off, hoping it'll be ok.

51 mk4 gti 1.8t AUM | 05 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line | 01 A3 1.8t Sport | 02 Golf 25th Anni 1.8T | 03 mk4 GTI AUQ | 05 Leon Fr TDI 150 | mk2 golf gti 8v | 01 Audi S3
Back in my old MK4 '01 AUM!
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/400214.aspx
VagCom, VagTacho, MTE, Needles, Key coding, Locked beeps etc availab

Offline scottishpedro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2012, 21:12 »
Got the stuff to do this in the post today. The old headlining is out but one corner has broken off :(
 Anyway hopefully be able to fix that, but someone has tried glue on it before and the back half has loads on which ain't coming off, hoping it'll be ok.

My headlining had lots of cracks etc, as long as it is taped up from the back and the broken bit is being held in the correct position, the whole thing will be much more solid/reinforced when the material is on.

Keep us updated on your progress

Offline mikemk4gti

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2012, 19:33 »
Decided to get on with this after work today, with the help of this guide it went well.
Couldn't get the old glue off as it was pulling the polystyrene stuff off with it.

Did it in two halves, and worked it well into the recesses

After trimming around the edges it ended up like this.

The acoustic carpet is really good stuff, and easy to get to shape how you like.
Not refitted to the car yet as its p***ing it down out there

51 mk4 gti 1.8t AUM | 05 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line | 01 A3 1.8t Sport | 02 Golf 25th Anni 1.8T | 03 mk4 GTI AUQ | 05 Leon Fr TDI 150 | mk2 golf gti 8v | 01 Audi S3

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2012, 19:37 »
Looking Good!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline scottishpedro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2012, 22:42 »
Great job, it looks just like mine did!  Yeah the acoustic carpet was just a best guess at what would work and it seems perfect for the job.  I'm glad you have found the guide useful.

Pedro

Offline scottishpedro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2012, 22:45 »

Re the glue used previously to stick the headlining up; I could not get all of ti off mine and there seems to have been no issues. 

Offline mikemk4gti

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 27 April 2012, 23:07 »
I put it back in the car this evening, really pleased with it. Could of done with a helper bit not essential. Might consider doing the sunroof panel too

Offline mikemk4gti

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2012, 16:26 »
And here it is

Really pleased with it!
 Need to do the sunroof panel aswell really but I haven't got enough material left.

Offline scottishpedro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 29 April 2012, 09:20 »
Looks really good, great job!

Offline Jamtarts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2012, 10:31 »
what a brilliant guide!!! Thanks for posting this, :D

my headlining has come away at the back and starting to come away at the front, it's a bit saggy in the middle.  I'm hoping to use the original material, I'm psyching myself up to take this on. 

If i take it out and it take me longer than expected to complete it, is the car still driveable with this removed? (is it legal?) maybe a silly question, but just to check whether to put it off road until completed.

I assume I can just use the original material or is this likely to rip when removing it?

Is there anyway I could just spray glue in and flatten all down without removing it all and only removing the areas I need access to?

sorry for all the questions, I was just hoping to be better prepared before I started,