Author Topic: Heating and dealer Issues  (Read 2474 times)

Offline brockwellenzo

• Just got here
Heating and dealer Issues
« on: 05 January 2017, 21:09 »
Hi all, first post, here goes...

I've had my 63 plate GTD (approx 40K on the clock) since last Feb, no issues until November when the heating became veery ineffective, i mentioned this in the December service, the dealer acknowledged there was an issue and re-booked the car, fast forward 2 weeks and having had the car for a couple of days, the dealer told me there was no issue with the heating (!) Fast forward to a a very cold commute this morning, and having driven some very cold miles over Xmas, I phoned VW and asked them to look at it again. they informed they would, however, any warranty repairs would be subject to a good will contribution from VW and was not guaranteed by any means as the car is now out of warranty (expired late December), despite the problem first being recorded in the warranty period.

1. Has anybody had any experiences with dodgy heating? Regardless of selected temperature, the car blows a luke warm air on the passenger side vents and a cold air through the driver side vents. 'Hi' has to be selected to achieve any sort of warmth, this was definitely not the case when i first got the car.

2. Does anybody know where I would stand as regards a 'good will contribution'? It seems unfair to me that the dealer can misdiagnose a problem, only to acknowledge (assuming they do this time) the same problem a short while later, once the warranty has run out?

Offline Silvadadi

• Not said much yet
Re: Heating and dealer Issues
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2017, 22:16 »
Whilst not had a problem specifically with VW/Golf, this was a common issue I experienced with Skoda Octavia vRS a couple years ago - it was always the passenger side - would be the opposite to what was set and what temp the driver received.   I will try and have a word with our workshops as to what the prob was but if they were in warranty they generally went back to Skoda.

As for your warranty question I had a prob with a Focus ST a month before it was out of warranty - it kept on going into limp mode.  Ford thought they had rectified it but had the same issue a couple weeks after the warranty expired.  Ford honoured the fact that the problem existed before it expired and took the £4K hit for investigative work and then a complete new wiring loom.

You made VW aware of the issue before it expired therefore they should honour it - I wouldn't accept anything less.
Ordered Jun 18: R 5dr, IG, DSG, Prets, DLA, climate w/s and tints.
Aug 14 - Jul 18: GTD 5dr, CSG, DSG, S&S pack, Vienna leather and Santiago's.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2017, 08:44 »
You made VW aware of the issue before it expired therefore they should honour it - I wouldn't accept anything less.

I agree.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2017, 16:55 »
A letter is now required to Dealer Principal pointing out the issue was brought to their attention within the warranty period (date if you can recall) but they failed to address it - and request they reply in writing within 7 days.

If they respond and agree to deal with the issue then fine, give them the chance. If they try to wriggle out then escalate the matter to VW Customer Services and forward them both your letter and the dealers reply.

Its annoying to have to write but its very important to have a clear paper trail as you now have a car with no warranty and this is your only recourse.

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2017, 19:01 »
I've just had a similar experience. The heater would just get "warm" and no hotter, but would get cooler. The garage identified the heater box as the culprit which required the dashboard being removed :cry:  Unfortunately  I'm out of warranty(3 months) but they did put in a new matrix as a Goodwill gesture. The heater now works perfectly :smiley:
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline brockwellenzo

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2017, 12:46 »
cheers for the responses guys, Tornado8, can I ask how much your repair bill was?

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2017, 19:39 »
It was £1092 :sick: But my dealer did a fab job(Martins of Basingstoke)
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2017, 18:52 »
my Tiguan seat belt was adjusted /cleaned out last year (Twice ) as it wasn't working properly ,
I took it in to get serviced and they stated I needed a new seat belt but as it was out of warranty I would have to pay for it , however I said they had looked at it last year and it should be under warranty , they said I may be able to get goodwill from VW , I did and it didn't cost me anything I assume because they had looked at it , but then the garage has been excellent regards good service .
I would go in get the service manager and state they looked at it and didn't sort it so they should get it sorted properly for nothing .
Good luck......

Paul larter

« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2017, 13:22 »
Hi just had the same issues! It turn out to be the thermosate housing it is very complicated as they are two rotoey sliding valves in there and an electric motor that activates the vales this was stuck in the open position.ie engine not getting up to temperature ? The car was 3 months out of warranty! It cost £600.00 to put it right.